Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-30 full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up some at Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-30 "full synthetic" at Walmart for $19.97 for a 5-quart jug. Seems like a good deal! How long do you think I can go between oil changes with a Mobil 1 filter? This is for my Venture.

Thanks,

Jason

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I hate to break it to ya but its not full synthetic. Its a blend. Only the 5w20 and 0w20 versions are full syn.

New bottles are labeled as Full Synthetic just like the xw-20.

7500 miles for most driving conditions, but use a different filter than the M1.
I would use a ToughGuard (cheaper and filters just as well as a M1) for a 7500 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

7500 miles for most driving conditions, but use a different filter than the M1.
I would use a ToughGuard (cheaper and filters just as well as a M1) for a 7500 mile OCI.

I have seen Fram warned against on this board. Is the ToughGuard okay then?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I hate to break it to ya but its not full synthetic. Its a blend. Only the 5w20 and 0w20 versions are full syn.
Is this a mislabled product? Maybe they changed the formula recently. I'll see if I can post a photo (if I can figure it out).

Originally Posted By: Refreshed

Where have you seen that, at least from reputable members? Do you have examples?

The OCOD catches a lot of flack on the inter-webs. The TG & Ultra are both very good filters.

The new magnatec comes in 5-30 full syn flavor at certain Wally stores as some members been starting to see them. The TG is a great option for a 7.5k or fram ultra with 2 oci for 15k.

OP your sig says fram on it. What are you fearing?
smile.gif

Oh wow. I just looked up some threads and it seems I got my ideas of Fram from the opinions of the cheap orange can as opposed to the ExtraGuard. I believe it used to be referred to as the Orange Can Of Death. That's embarrassing. I've been missing out on a great filter all these years because of opinions I formed over 10 years ago. That's what I get for not checking in here more than once a decade. Time to catch up.

Oh wow. I just looked up some threads and it seems I got my ideas of Fram from the opinions of the cheap orange can as opposed to the ExtraGuard. I believe it used to be referred to as the Orange Can Of Death. That's embarrassing. I've been missing out on a great filter all these years because of opinions I formed over 10 years ago. That's what I get for not checking in here more than once a decade. Time to catch up.

I've never seen anyone who knows what they are talking about "warn" people about the orange can. There's nothing about that filter that is worthy of being warned about, it may not be optimal but it's not going to damage anything. So the threads you looked up were just saying that some of the other filters sold by Fram were better?

Originally Posted By: knnaz392
The new magnatec comes in 5-30 full syn flavor at certain Wally stores as some members been starting to see them. The TG is a great option for a 7.5k or fram ultra with 2 oci for 15k.

OP your sig says fram on it. What are you fearing?
smile.gif

My own neglect of my vehicles, which apparently wasn't neglect but based on false information. Is that the definition of cognitive dissonance? I was lazy and bought the cheap filter.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I've never seen anyone who knows what they are talking about "warn" people about the orange can. There's nothing about that filter that is worthy of being warned about, it may not be optimal but it's not going to damage anything. So the threads you looked up were just saying that some of the other filters sold by Fram were better?
Yes. But I had the opinion that Fram filters were made cheaply or carelessly. I specifically remember seeing photos of poor build quality with the Fram filters that had been cut apart. I cannot search back very far on BITOG, but I remember it clearly.

Just goes to show, what you know may not be so.

But I had the opinion that Fram filters were made cheaply or carelessly. I specifically remember seeing photos of poor build quality with the Fram filters that had been cut apart. I cannot search back very far on BITOG, but I remember it clearly.

The search feature goes back 5 years. What was so cheap and careless about their construction since you remember it clearly?

Glue applied to the wrong places. Sloppy fit. It has been awhile. I also learned from this board many years ago that Wix is an excellent filter. Still true?

Yes, Wix filters are a solid choice. They make the Supertech oil filters for Walmart now as well.

Fram had a few issues a decade or more ago (apparently back when you registered, don't post much, huh
grin.gif
).
The Orange can got a lot of flack when it started using the fiber end caps (infamously know as "cardboard" end caps) and there were some issues with some filters bursting (never saw any proof, just lots of interwebs postings).
My biggest gripe with the Orange Can Of Delight (OCOD) was the cost. Never had a problem with the filters themselves.
The Tough Guard has even better media (synthetic/cellulose blend) as well as a silicone ADV, a 10,000 mile filter.
The Ultra is one of the best (some will say the best) filters out there. Full synthetic depth media with high filtration, wire backing on media, silicone ADV, metal end caps, 15,000 mile (soon to be 20,000 mile?) rating.

As for Wix, yes, still a solid filter. Some gripe about the filtrating ratings, but they are better than most OEM.
They make Filters for others as well.
Their lower tier are made for Walmart (Supertech), O'Reilly (Microguard) and Napa (ProSelect). A good basic filter for 5000 miles. Many use a combo ADV/bypass valve that many don't like, but they work.
Their is also the NAPA Silver (and some other NAPA one??) they make, I think it is also just a cellulose media with nitrile ADV and "normal" type bypass.
NAPA Gold and Regular Wix filters are the same as always, just good, solid filters, but are getting pricy at normal price.
You then have the Wix XP/NAPA Platinum that uses a different media (synthetic blend?) with wire backing.

Wow I am stunned. I have used a LOT of the blend Magnatec 5w30 am thrilled to find it has been boosted to full syn.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yes. But I had the opinion that Fram filters were made cheaply or carelessly. I specifically remember seeing photos of poor build quality with the Fram filters that had been cut apart. I cannot search back very far on BITOG, but I remember it clearly.

Just goes to show, what you know may not be so.

Consider the statistics and not just the instances.

FRAM is probably one of the top selling filters given the fact that it is regularly a low-priced item and has a HUGE distribution model. If it is sold in every WM, AutoZone, Oreillys, etc.. then you can bet that it is being bought by every Joe Jill and Jake. I don't know the sales figures, but I'd bet FRAMS sell at least 10:1 to every Wix.

Therefore, I would assert that the likelihood of:

1. People who bought a FRAM and installed it incorrectly, causing reports of 'the filter fell off' or 'it lost oil pressure' are going to be much higher
2. People who bought a FRAM and forgot to change their oil for 15k miles on conventional and then reported that the filter fell apart under extreme conditions is going to be higher
3. People who bought a FRAM and ran into a manufacturing defect is going to be higher.
4. People who bought a FRAM and frankly didn't care about their car, so numerous other factors contributed to them having engine issues is going to be higher

And conversely on point 4 -- it could be that the person who buys a FRAM isn't going to spend the money on a Wix (or even know that the option is there). This in itself could explain greater reported incidents of FRAM filters going bad.

in·tel·li·gence
inˈteləjəns/
noun
noun: intelligence

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

I'm scared of this oil, is it going to turn on me and smother me like ants from doing something stupid?

Based on the stupidity of that sign of the bottle I'd walk past it in a motor oil isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back