Castrol GTX HM vs Pennzoil HM???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which has thickest base???

Which has best additive pkg???

I assume the Pennzoil HM is GP-II & the GTX HM is GP II+ bases?

10w30 flavor

thx!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
They are both Group II base. Flip a coin.

Well Johnny isn't the Castrol supposed to be the thicker base than the other HM dino oils? I am wanting to step down from M1 HM to a HM dino oil and see if consumption is reduced.

I believe the viscosity index for the Castrol and Pennzoil HM oils is about the same. Both thicker than the standard oils they produce.

If in doubt, just throw some 15W-40 in there, that should be thick enough.

LOL...well they don't make 15w40 HM oils :)

I could up it to the 10w40 M1 HM but I generally only put 3-4k max on the OCi before 1 yr has elapsed so I think I'd rather keep the same 10w30 but in a "thicker" brand/type oil oil.

If you don't need the benefits of the small amount of esters in HM oil for seal conditioning, and all you want to do is bump up the viscosity, the 15W-40 is the ticket and it will save you some money. Any of the major brands will serve you well for your application, even in the Tulsa winters.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you don't need the benefits of the small amount of esters in HM oil for seal conditioning, and all you want to do is bump up the viscosity, the 15W-40 is the ticket and it will save you some money. Any of the major brands will serve you well for your application, even in the Tulsa winters.

I am near OKC but same difference...but I do want the HM oil pack cause of some minor seeps...HM oil seems to keep this under control in my vehicles, but if no leaks I might consider an HDEO as you are suggesting. Heck they even make Rotella in 10w30 but I am not sure why???

Well in that case, either the Castrol, Pennzoil, or Valvoline HM oils should serve you well. Buy the one that cost the least amount of money. Personally I don't think there is two cents worth of difference in any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back