Castrol GTX High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a Search on this, but didnt help alot.
BTW, Im new
I was just wondering if GTX High Mileage is a Synthetic, or if it contains stuff that is going to swell up my Seals. On my 89 4Runner, i use regular GTX, and It has 165K miles on it. So, would GTX High Mileage Be a better thing to use?

Any Input would be awesome

Pretty much no otc will swell up seals enough to make a difference. Pretty much all high mileage oils are pretty much the same as far as this goes. Valvoline maxlife is not very good cause of the lack of moly blah blah blah, and from bobs homepage with comparing several oils, no oil show any seal swelling advantages. Oh, but wait guess what? (This is where I go ahead and say what is inevitably going to be posted), Schaeffers makes an additive that will swell your seals. Well I can't say cuz I never used it but from bob's comparison it can.

Castrol's HM oil looks interesting, it's a bit thicker than GTX and like all HM oils it'll have some esters in it, so it's viscosity should remain more stable than GTX also (which tends to thin out under hard use) I'd like to see someone try out this oil to see how the used oil analysis looks.

when I get done with this second 1k run of RX in my saturn I'm gonna run some GTX high mileage oil. Should be in a couple weeks. I'll keep ya posted.

--Matt

I think MaxLife has gotten a knee-jerk reaction here since they took out the Moly. Even w/o the Moly, a 3k MaxLife looks good against a 4k Schaeffer blend from Patman's analysis.

I still think it may a good deal for < $2 if it, or any other HM oil, really has 10% ester.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:
I think MaxLife has gotten a knee-jerk reaction here since they took out the Moly. Even w/o the Moly, a 3k MaxLife looks good against a 4k Schaeffer blend from Patman's analysis.

I still think it may a good deal for < $2 if it, or any other HM oil, really has 10% ester.

If you look closer at that 3k analysis though, the lead levels were a bit high with Maxlife. And even though my iron is high on the Schaeffer analysis, I'm convinced it has more to do with the cold weather and corrosion than anything else. I bet once warmer weather hits my iron levels are a lot lower.

The low oxidation of Maxlife was good though (9% in 3.3k) and it's TBN of 8 and solid viscosity of 11.5 was also very good.

All I can add is that I am totally satisfied with Castrol High Mileage on my 88 Lincoln Town Car. In 4000 kms I have used .75 litres of make up oil, previous to this I would have used 2-3 litres by now in the same mileage, this is a huge difference for me. I have also noticed that his oil has stayed cleaner longer compared to previous oils. It seemed to have a higher viscosity like Patman mentioned. I am using the 10w-30 weight. It costs a fair bit more money than regular Castrol, but the reduced consumption is a blessing for me as this car leaked a fair bit of oil before. I can't say if this seal swelling stuff is b.s. or not, but my car definitely uses much less oil with this brand. Big thumbs up from me .
canada.gif

I think I'm just gonna go with the GTX High Mileage 10w30 for my saturn. The 30 wt high mileage gtx is prety close to being a 40wt anyways.

--Matt

It's a long way away, but when my mom hits 5000 miles on her 10w30 SuperSyn, I'm gonna do a Neutra purge for 1000km using GTX HM (probably 5w30 this time) and then run an interval after that with the stuff again. I'm curious to see how this stuff will perform in her car, which has over 130k on it and has run only Mobil 1 thus far.

Please wait a year or so till they have a 5/20 HM oil for the public
tongue.gif

Or do they make that now and it's called 5/30 Motor oil?
wink.gif

lol.gif

Good one Dragboat!
smile.gif

I wish there was an easy way to tell exactly which viscosity works best for an engine, not only when new but when at higher mileage. Obviously as an engine wears, it's going to open up a little bit and possibly need slightly thicker oil. I still don't agree that we should start putting in 50wt oils into a high mileage engine that starts out with 5w30/10w30 however.

But perhaps a new engine which works well with an oil of around 10cst at 100c, might show better wear at 100k if switched to an oil of around 12cst at 100c.

In an ideal world though, if you choose the right oil and viscosity right from the start, you shouldn't have a lot of wear by 100k, but of course this isn't an ideal world, not with the cold temps, stop and go, idling, hot temps, and of course the occasional drag race.
burnout.gif

heh, dunno. I have 161k miles. Saturn recommends 5/10w30 for the car when new. I'm figuring a slightly heavier 10w30 or a lighter 10w40 should be ok for me. W'll see. I have to replace my oil pan gasket soon so that(current) oil will need to come out of there
wink.gif

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back