Castrol GTX High Mileage smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody used this stuff real recently? Has a really nasty, rancid smell that seems to hang in the air. Im trying to figure out what it is that is causing it.

Lol, nice one. Can't trust BP anymore.

My guess is it's either you're confusing the rancid smell for sulfur, or maybe it's something like an artificial castor oil.

Take some of the oil and rub it between your fingers. It should smell like, well, oil. A crude oil smell, some oils like the old Castrol Edge (SM) have a sweeter smell like menthol (especially 0w20). If you have smelled a lot of oils and it is nastily different, you should probably not use it since there are so many GTX users on here that have not had this complaint.

You can always go to Castrol USA and have a "live chat" with some one.

Last edited:
I recently saw a Tech Bulletin from Castrol. Seems they are aware of the problem and have since corrected it. I don't remember the exact wording but it basically said the oil was ok to use. When I get back to work, I'll try to locate the bulletin.

Thanks chainblu.

For everyone else, it smells like really well used motor oil mixed with the normal fragrance of Castrol oils. Worst part is it hangs in the air for a good 20 minutes after its been put in a vehicle.

That might explain the foul smell from the oil in my mother's car which immediately went away after changing it. It had Syntec as fill before changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back