Castrol GTX High Mileage or Syntec Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys has both on sale for 1.99 this week -- which is the better formulation of the 2 for a 1996 Camry - 60k on the clock?

Syntec Blend 10w-40 was A3 but now can be had with SM/GF-4 designations. I would like to try it.

My vote goes to the Syntec Blend.
grin.gif

I think oil companies are cheap when they make dino's. The phos cap is for 30wt and below only , yet they run the same additive pack in the 10w-40 and 20w-50's .

There was simply no real reason to drop the phos down in the Syntec 10w-40 for API SM ....other than cost

I think one difference is the energy conserving donut. I don't think the hi-mileage has it so it would be best for a motor that has high consumption. And if oil companies have been ignoring 10w-30, hi-mileage is a more current formula.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I think oil companies are cheap when they make dino's. The phos cap is for 30wt and below only , yet they run the same additive pack in the 10w-40 and 20w-50's .

There was simply no real reason to drop the phos down in the Syntec 10w-40 for API SM ....other than cost

You mean they have changed Syntec 10W-40 already?? I guess my upcoming uoa will be somewhat pointless. Oh well.

I have tried a 1-40 oil and the gas mileage dropped considerably - I want to try and stick with a 10w-30 if possible.

quote:

Originally posted by mehere:
I have tried a 1-40 oil and the gas mileage dropped considerably - I want to try and stick with a 10w-30 if possible.

If you drive in sahara and go from 10W40 to 10W30, sure, you mpg will increase, but will the very hot and extra thin oil protect the engine?
(hint: a retoric question)

I switched to the Castrol GTX High Mileage in a 99 Merc GM with the 4.6 engine. I have had 4 of these cars, and I love them, but they all had high oil consumption at high mileage. I have about 140K right now. It cut my consumption from a quart per 1K miles to going 5K miles between changes without adding, and not needng to add.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back