Castrol GTX has me confused...A1, 3 or 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Now I get confused easily, but I'm really having a hard time figuring out the rating of 10W30 GTX. The website says "SAE 10W-30 exceeds ACEA: A1, API Service SL, SJ and SH as well as exceeding the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards." It doesn't mention A3 or A5.

The back of the bottle says "Exceeds API Service SL/SJ/SH . ILSAC GF2/GF3 . ACEA:A1,A5 . and some other stuff about Japanese wear etc etc. It does't mention A3

The batch number says "CO3335 04:40 GTX 10W30 A3".
Note the A3 at the end of the batch number.

So I'm wondering if these two 4.4 litre bottles of GTX that I have meet A1, A3 or A5 or any combination of the above?

BTW, I normally use GC 0W30, but I got the GTX on sale for $6 for 4.4 litres to use in my Auto-Rx rinse phase.

[ April 05, 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: rcy ]

I simply don't believe that GTX meets A5, which is an ACEA extended drain spec for low HT/HS oils in Europe. In fact, the only difference between A3 and A5 is the HT/HS spec.

GTX may very well meet A1, but A3 and A5—no way. Period.

So, it just may be coincidence that the batch number has the A3 on the end, but what about the label on the back of the bottle? An error on Castrol's part? False claims? (like they've never done that before) Is the website correct? I think I'll call Castrol Canada tomorrow (they're located right here in Toronto along the Lakeshore) and make some inquiries.

A1 is an obsolete spec from c1987 when Audi introduced inclusive dealer service and it had something to do with the VW G60 motor too. Maybe somebody knows more precisely, but I am going from my impression, at the time, of A1 as the "original" Euro spec.

Description and specs of of Castrol RX:

CASTROL RX Super Heavy Duty Multi-Grade
Engineered for car and light truck diesel engines.

Provides superior protection from piston deposits, oil thickening and valve train wear while minimizing engine sludge formation.
Meets Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen API passenger car performance requirements.

Exceeds the performance requirements of API Service: CH-4, CG-4,
CF-4, CF/SJ, SH. Castrol RX Super SAE 15W-40 exceeds performance requirements of Mack, Cummins, Navistar, Detroit Diesel 4-stroke engines where API CH-4 is required, GM 6085M, GM 6094M, Ford
ESN-M2C121E, ESE-M2C153G and F. Approved against the performance requirements of Mack EO-M.

[ April 05, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

A1 is still being used, and like the others, is updated periodically.
The trick is, an oil can either meet A3 and/or A2, and not the others, or any of the others, but not A3 or A2. A2 and A3, among other criteria, state that an oil must have a HT/HS greater than 3.5. A1 and A5 state that the HT/HS must be less than 3.5. So a single oil can not simultaneously meet A1 and A3.

I know Syntec Blend 10W-30 is A5 rated. It is the only blend on the shelves of Wal-Mart that lists this spec. The GTX bottles I saw just said "A1".

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
The back of the bottle says "Exceeds API Service SL/SJ/SH . ILSAC GF2/GF3 . ACEA:A1,A5 .

Told ya!
gr_stretch.gif

I posted a while ago that Canadian GTX bottles started to show A5 rating. Does not mean US GTX will follow, but I hope so.

I don't see why Castrol GTX can't meet ACEA A5 requirements. Isn't the difference between ACEA A1 and A5 sort of like the difference between API SJ and SL -- mostly long term fuel economy?

That's great news then....so it makes it as good as....M-1 10-30 then?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
That's great news then....so it makes it as good as....M-1 10-30 then?
grin.gif

Of course. Exxon/Mobil is just ripping us off. Good thing we have an honest company like Castrol around to save us...
lol.gif

No, neither company owns the ACEA specs.

cheers.gif
Either it's A1/A5 or it's not. So if both qualify, then they must be equal in this regard.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
I don't see why Castrol GTX can't meet ACEA A5 requirements. Isn't the difference between ACEA A1 and A5 sort of like the difference between API SJ and SL -- mostly long term fuel economy?

No, that's not the difference. The performance requirements for A5 are significantly higher than for A1. A1 is the "basic" ACEA rating for conventional oils in Europe used for "normal" drain intervals. A5 is an extended drain spec, and the only oils that I know of that meet it are Group IV or Group III synthetics. I honestly don't see how any Group II oil could meet this spec.

I like GTX and all (still use it in my SHO); but it's one of the last oils I would use for extended drains given how it likes to shear a bit..

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
If GTX IS A5, what kind of voodoo is Castrol doing to get Group II to meet extended drain specs? Is it possible they lie? LOL

I checked out CastrolUSA's website and the published specs of GTX. It is not claimed to be ACEA A5 rated (A1 only).
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
If GTX IS A5, what kind of voodoo is Castrol doing to get Group II to meet extended drain specs? Is it possible they lie? LOL

I checked out CastrolUSA's website and the published specs of GTX. It is not claimed to be ACEA A5 rated (A1 only).
cheers.gif

I noticed that myself. The website says one thing, the back of the bottle says another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back