Castrol GTX good for GM 2.2 OHV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil out in my 1998 Chevrolet S-10 2.2L OHV to Castrol GTX 5w-30 I was wondering if this was a good choice and what kind of OCI should I do Im also running a AC Delco PF 47 oil filter

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
GTX is good oil but I personally think its overpriced. I put Mobil Clean 5000 in my old Cavi with the 2.2L OHV since its cheaper.

Not to mention GTX's pretty lack-lustre cold performance.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
what do u mean by that

Compare the MRV of PYB to GTX and you'll see what I mean.

wow so is the lower number better
penz yb is 15900 at -35
gtx is 40000 at -35

so its pumpability sucks in cold temps so I shouldnt use it in the winter.

That's what I was driving at
wink.gif

so would it alright to run now the low will prob. only get about 60F

I'm sure it would be just fine, but I imagine PYB might be better.... And is probably around the same price.

I used it for 3 fills in a row in my 2.2 OHV Cavvy.

It worked just great - consumption was very, very low. Excellent oil, run it at least 5k, it will do that no problem.

Great good to hear did you have any problem with cold starts? valve/lifter noise I know it gets pretty cold up there

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
GTX is good oil but I personally think its overpriced.

+1 on this.....

GTX is just fine, but you dont need to go out of your way to use it, not when the prices are a little high compared to other choices out there, such as MC 5000, QS, and Pennzoil YB.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

You have to keep in mind that the data sheets Castrol gives out for GTX doesn't give an actual MRV value on it but instead it's telling us the maximum value. That just means that the oil has to be less than that value in order to qualify as a 5w30 for instance. Castrol has never been good about giving out specific data like that, but it doesn't mean the cold cranking performance of GTX is not good.

I'm very impressed with the cold cranking performance of GTX 5w20 in my wife's Civic. Even at -22C the engine never sounded labored on that first morning start, it turned over quite easily.

IMO, when it comes to the choice between YB or GTX, I'd go with whichever one is on sale for a lower price. I believe both are excellent oils and you can't go wrong choosing either one. Up here I never see YB 5w20 on sale, plus it's not sold in the bigger jugs either, so those two reasons are why I'm using GTX 5w20 in the wife's Civic.

Great good to hear did you have any problem with cold starts? valve/lifter noise I know it gets pretty cold up there

I used it mainly during the summer, but I did have 10W-30 in my car down to 0F, and the car started just fine. I never avoided using it in the winter, that's just when I happened to use it....

Originally Posted By: Patman

You have to keep in mind that the data sheets Castrol gives out for GTX doesn't give an actual MRV value on it but instead it's telling us the maximum value. That just means that the oil has to be less than that value in order to qualify as a 5w30 for instance. Castrol has never been good about giving out specific data like that, but it doesn't mean the cold cranking performance of GTX is not good.

I'm very impressed with the cold cranking performance of GTX 5w20 in my wife's Civic. Even at -22C the engine never sounded labored on that first morning start, it turned over quite easily.

IMO, when it comes to the choice between YB or GTX, I'd go with whichever one is on sale for a lower price. I believe both are excellent oils and you can't go wrong choosing either one. Up here I never see YB 5w20 on sale, plus it's not sold in the bigger jugs either, so those two reasons are why I'm using GTX 5w20 in the wife's Civic.

I agree that Castrol's data is somewhat vague.....

That being said, I never noticed any laboured cranking with 5w40 either
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman

I ran GTX 5w30 exclusively on my 07' Frontier that I just traded in. I had MANY cold starts throughout 2 cold winters many days below 0F. I had no issues with cold starts.

That said, I had gotten a great deal on the oil so thats why I had so much of it. Where I live GTX is the most expensive dino oil by a wide margine. Infact more than some synthetics. I do not see how that is justified. I would not go out of my way to buy GTX but I happened to get a great deal on it again I would grab it up.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

That said, I had gotten a great deal on the oil so thats why I had so much of it. Where I live GTX is the most expensive dino oil by a wide margine. Infact more than some synthetics. I do not see how that is justified. I would not go out of my way to buy GTX but I happened to get a great deal on it again I would grab it up.

Up here in Canada, GTX's regular everyday price is exactly the same as all the other popular conventional oils (Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc.) but I do notice that it goes on sale a lot more often, so in reality it's easier to find it at a lower price compared to the others. It definitely seems weird that it's priced so much higher compared to other conventional oils in the US.

My Taurus had an OCI of GTX 5w20 here in midwest and central Illinois over the winter. Never had a single problem cranking with -20*F. I know that is not Canada level weather but I never had any problems with it. I ran an OCI of YB 5w20 as well during the last half of winter and it did just fine as well. I agree, run which ever is easier to get or cheapest at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back