Castrol GTX & full synthetic which would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you use Castrol full synthetic with filter change every 5K miles (Dealer cost $58) or Castrol GTX with filter change every 3-4K miles (Dealer cost $28)? Think it would make a difference over the life of the engine???

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
GTX, unless you plan on taking the synthetic to 7k miles or so.

Is Syntec (other than the German variety) considered an extended-drain oil? I could only find two UOA's for non-GC and they were both only for 3,000 miles. Really inconclusive.

Syntec does not seem to have great TBN retention, or that high of a TBN to begin with, so it is not going to last for extended drains. $58 bucks for a Syntec oil change? Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go GTX or better yet, change it yourself for $10 bucks like mentioned above. Mobil 1 will last head and shoulders above and beyond Syntec for long drains. I do not think that using syntec at 5,000 miles will make your engine last any longer than 3,000 mile GTX changes. You'll blow a head gasket or have a water pump fail and cook your engine before syntec would "theoretically" show up as allowing an engine to last longer (which it won't).

I've alway done my own, but I figured I would let Toyota handle it for the 5 year 60K mile warranty period. They also do a check with their quick lube that covers all of the items on the warranty list (having the dealer do it gives me a record for warranty coverage). Figure since I only drive 10-12K per year that the cost difference between them doing it and doing it myself is just $2.50 per month. Not worth it for me. I will switch to Mobil 1 when the warranty is up like I did on my Landcruiser. I'm doing the samething with the wifes new 350Z for the warranty period.

Sadly, not everyone enjoys being under their cars. You could always $ divided by miles to see which one is cheaper.

If you're not going to extend the drains then it gets expensive to use synthetics. At least you enjoy the other benefits of it.

Syntec Blend works well and the 10w-40 is ACEA A3-rated, a test that is about 10x longer than API SL. About $2 a quart, easily good for 6 month intervals too. Crunch the numbers if you want, the Syntec blend is a good choice up to 8,000 miles, 6000 very conservatively.

I don't let anyone touch my vehicles unless its ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! Your warranty will still be good if you change your oil and keep reciepts and log it, very simple. Why let a $8 or $9 hour employee ruin your ride?
dunno.gif
Just change the stuff yourself and don't get cought up in the dealer bull! Consider yourself warned!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8350 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Crunch the numbers if you want, the Syntec blend is a good choice up to 8,000 miles, 6000 very conservatively.

I'm switching my GM 3.4 to Syntec Blend 10W-30 (A5 rated). I intend to take it to 6k... I'll post analysis results when I get them.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I don't let anyone touch my vehicles unless its ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! Your warranty will still be good if you change your oil and keep reciepts and log it, very simple. Why let a $8 or $9 hour employee ruin your ride?
dunno.gif
Just change the stuff yourself and don't get cought up in the dealer bull! Consider yourself warned!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8350 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I hear you and I've done mine in the past. I will check the work before I drive off. Also mark my filter. If I have the same dealer do it everytime while under warranty then any problem is on them PERIOD! Attorney on retainer
smile.gif

I once had a Lexus dealer fail to put oil in one of my cars
smile.gif
Got warranty coverage to 120K miles for any lube problem.

Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30 are not rated for any sort of extended drains. They are rated ACEA B1 only. The additive package looks good. I don't understand how they sell it at such a high price and not have it B5 rated.

There's people on this board with over 200,000mi using GTX. Plus the dealer's ripping people on the syntec. Even retail it's $3.00 a qt more X 5 qts = $15; for them it's probably even less. Needless to say I'd go with GTX.

Thanks guys I will go with the Castrol GTX using a 3-4K mile OCI and the OEM filter. The dealer and Castrol have a deal that they sign you up for, that if you change, using the Castrol GTx with a 4K mile OCI, Castrol will warrant your engine against failure due to lubrication for 300,000 miles, so it sounds like they think this OCI is pretty safe.

"Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30 are not rated for any sort of extended drains. They are rated ACEA B1 only. The additive package looks good. I don't understand how they sell it at such a high price and not have it B5 rated. "

According to Castrol USA, Syntec 5w-30 and 10w-30 are both ACEA A1 and A5 rated. As I understand the ACEA rating system, A1 and A5 are fuel economy rated oils (low friction, low viscosity oils) and the A5 designation is for "extended drain intervals in high performance" gasoline engines. The ACEA B1 rating is a fuel economy diesel oil rating for "car and light van diesel engines". B5 refers to extended drain diesel oils of that class.

In all due respect I would not even consider Castrol as a synthetic contender for comparison due to its group III petroleum base stock nature market over priced as a Mobil competitor
frown.gif

A better question would be Mobil/Amsoil/GC vs Castrol GTX...

or if you really want Group III "misnomeric synthetics" vs Castrol GTX it would be Amsoil 7500 or Rotella T Syn HDDEO.

Why not just have the oil changed at a quick lube shop for $20? Keep your receipts. If there is any warrantee problem, you have receipts. Toyota can't deny any claims if you have followed the minimum OCI for your driving condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back