castrol gtx dyno oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN its that cold trust me no motor oil can flow that good Im from NewYork and have -8 degrees plus and I had mobil 1 and Amsoil and Castrol when it gets that cold trust me all cars make funny sounds until that oil is warmed up and when your are in warmer Temps like 70s to 80s no noise pre warmed **** I need to move to somewhere warm

quote:

Originally posted by GEMINIS2k:
WHEN its that cold trust me no motor oil can flow that good Im from NewYork and have -8 degrees plus and I had mobil 1 and Amsoil and Castrol when it gets that cold trust me all cars make funny sounds until that oil is warmed up and when your are in warmer Temps like 70s to 80s no noise pre warmed **** I need to move to somewhere warm

It hit -9F here one morning last week and my car started up just fine with Schaeffer 10w30 blend, and the engine ran smoothly.

Mine did the same thing and it was linked to the Wix filter. I went back to my usual Purolator premium plus and the pressure went up instatly, like before.

[ February 07, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

I have some in my car now with a wix filter just because I did a 550 mile interval of auto rx with mobil drive clean and needed something to drive on till I got the schaeffers. Well it was prolly 30 degrees today which is the coldest its been adn when Istarted teh car ti took about a second for the oil pressure to start rising, normally its takes a small fraction of a sec, and it rose really slowly like took a good fgew seconds to finally get to 50 psi or so, normally takes like a half second of that with other oil. It also made some noise for a couple seconds, not loud but there was more noise coming from the engine bay of the car than usuall for the first couple seconds then it quieted down a bit. Its 10w 30 dyno thats been in there ofr 500 miles exactly, does this stuff flow really badly or is it the filter or what?

Castrol GTX doesn't have all that impressive cold cranking specs, and having their 10w30 in 30 degree weather doesn't help much either. I didn't think it got that cold in Texas!
smile.gif

I like the oil analysis results I see on GTX, but I don't like it's cold weather behavior though.

Yeah it seemed pretty bad you dont think there was any serious damage from it do ya the engine runs fine but I cant exactly see inside to tell for sure. I am just waiting for the K&n filter to arrive , about 4-6 days and then Ill put in the schaeffers 15w40 which im holding a bottle of now and shaking it... at room temp it sounds like water in there lol, should be a lot better for cold starts, bet the 10w 30 IS like water. Or maybe they did just send me green water, guess Ill find out.

[ February 07, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: 94 formula ]

94 formula

Your a couple hours South of me,,how cold was it this morning ? It was 5F here at the house..brrrrr
smile.gif

The different motor oils used in 4 of 7 cars that were started = notta problem

NO idea exactly how cold but there were some frozen patches in puddles in certain areas so prolly atleast 30 or less. Coldest its gotten in forever here in plano, basically dallas area. The coldest I can ever remember being in is mid teens like 8 or 10 years ago when I was like 9 or something, since its only gotten into the 20's which is FREEZING for me but then again in Texas there is ALWAYS tons of wind which blows through your cloths and stuff. Patman ...there is no way I could live up there... and I figured since oklahoma is so close it wouldnt get that cold there jeez 5 degrees?!

[ February 07, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: 94 formula ]

I just changed my oil from penzoil 5w-30 to 10w-30 castrol gtx and have been starting it on 10 degree F mornings with no problems. Hell, it seems to actually make less piston slap noise, that's why I went with 10w over 5w with an oversized filter for increased flow.

Same here except I use GTX HM 10w40, and 10 degree mornings pose no starting problems. Now that I have a much cleaner oiling system, I don't even get any lifter ticks at startup.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
You actually go outside when it's 10F out there?

It wasn't much warmer than that today here, and with 30mph winds, and I was outside for a good 10-15min changing my mom's oil filter and putting in Auto-rx. Came back in the house with frozen hands though! I shoulda wore gloves!
nono.gif

Y'all Canadians R crazy....us Americans at least least know where the whiskey cabinet is...
we keep a qt of 15w/40 in the back for the really cold nights!!!!
see ya
Rando

kinda of a funny story not related to oil, but cold.

my father and i changed engines in his landrover, and it was so cold out, we drained the antifreeze and let the engine start overheat and die before we pulled it out. we figured the engine is junk anyways so it doesnt matter is we overheat and kill it. this was to keep our hands warm as we were wrenching. brrrr we had a cold front in south florida and it got to 50F!!!!! man thats cold compared to the usual 90's.
how you guys can manage to not go into convulsions from hypothermia at NEGATIVE temps!?!? is beyond my understanding.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
You actually go outside when it's 10F out there?

It wasn't much warmer than that today here, and with 30mph winds, and I was outside for a good 10-15min changing my mom's oil filter and putting in Auto-rx. Came back in the house with frozen hands though! I shoulda wore gloves!
nono.gif

Yeah I changed mine when it was 20 degrees, and after about 15min I thought my fingers were gonna fall off, definitely should have worn gloves. Southern Indiana winters aren't nearly as bad as Canadian winters though. It has been a colder than normal winter for us. Got down to minus 2 once as well as more low temps in the low teens than normal.

Jason

The last two oil changes have not been the most fun I've ever had - one back in January when it was hovering right at 0 F, and one tonight at -5 F in an unheated garage with the door open since a full size truck ony fits with a 1/4 inch to spare and that doesn't leave a lot of room to work on the engine! Oh well, at least I'm done for a while now!

And I leave the oil inside for a day or two beforehand just to make it easier to drain the bottle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back