Castrol GTX Conventional vs. Pennzoil Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
In typical grades of 5W20 , 5W30 & 10W30 what differences between these two oils (bean vs. dyno) would one see specification wise as well as the add pack ? Any drawbacks to either one based on your experiences ? Wear protection , cleanliness and low volatility would generally be key criteria for me . At one time the PYB appeared to have almost a cult following due to low volatility , good amount of moly and good cleaning ability - but that was 3 to 4 years ago when the Pure Plus technology for synthetics (base) may have found their way into the PYB - not sure if the PYB specs. are that good still ? As for the Castrol GTX - I know the least about this oil but some indicate there may be some engine varnish issues if not changed slightly early . Again , your thoughts and experiences between these two conventional oils ? Thanks in advance !

Probably a toss up. But because of the results PYB showed a couple years ago....I'd still favor it. I know the Pennzoi carries the higher Ca add pack I prefer. Castrol has shifted between magnesium vs. high calcium. Some of their line still carries high magnesium oils. I can still buy the Pennz Platinum about as cheap as the PYB (or regular Castrol) so I say PP at no more than $3.00/qt.

pennzoil high mileage tests very well at 540ratblog. just google it.

here are the numbers: #34. 5W30 Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle, API SN, conventional = 102,402 psi
High Mileage oils are formulated for older engines with over 75,000 miles on them. And High Mileage oils include “Seal Swell” chemicals to help reduce oil leakage in those older engines.

it is about the best oil. regular oil. p.s. all oil has seal chems. in them or you sh^t would leak...

at wally world for $15 5 quart. bottle....
crazy.gif

The results are in... PQIA did a recent test on Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w20 and the Castrol GTX 5w20 and others also dated July 2016
Look at it and post your opinions.. PQIA is probably the best place to get this information..

My 07 LR3 has run Castol GTX 5w30 most of its life and at nearly 150k, doesn't leak anything and don't need to top it off at all between OCIs. Run it 5-6k each oil change, LR recommends 7500, and to use Castrol GTX.

Though the Pennzoil is great too, haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.

Between GTX and PYB, I don't think there's all that much to choose although PYB does look a little better on paper.
GTX had a cult following back in the seventies and still does among a declining number of users.
If both were free, I'd probably take the Pennz but I'd have a hard time coming up with a good argument for doing so.

Well, I can attest that no oil turns black faster than Castrol GTX. Whether that's better cleaning not sure. Valvoline seems to never go black. Comes out dark brown. Pennzoil will go black but it takes much longer than Castrol. Just my observation in the same engines.

Pennzoil yellow bottle is the #1 seller on earth and 2nd Place is not on Pennzoil's heels. It's been that way for decades and that's proof-enough that it's the best conventional on the planet today. That ranking is on both the commercial/business-end and on the retail consumer purchase-end also.

Last edited:
In most cases advertising has a lot to do with good sales and not the quality of the product.. I think Pennzoil is a good oil and i used it my whole life until about a year ago when i switched to Mobil because of Pennzoils leaky unsecured jugs with no tamper resistant inner freshness seal..
Today all the name brand oils are good and pretty much the same in quality. Shop the oils with the specs you need and buy the cheapest one.

We are liking the Mobil super oils very much and probably won't be going back to Pennzoil as the go to engine oil unless things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back