Castrol GTX base oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy this site and was reading old threads and oil analysis until my eyes got tired last night! I noticed several posts where people were saying Castrol GTX 5w30 or 10w30 is a group 2 base. How do you know this? I contacted Castrol and they would not say what their basestocks are, that is was unavailable to the public. At any rate is seems to do well in UOL.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I really enjoy this site and was reading old threads and oil analysis until my eyes got tired last night! I noticed several posts where people were saying Castrol GTX 5w30 or 10w30 is a group 2 base. How do you know this? I contacted Castrol and they would not say what their basestocks are, that is was unavailable to the public. At any rate is seems to do well in UOL.

It's really a process of deduction. Pre GF-3 publications documented that Group II was the only cost effective way to meet the new spec. And Group II+ was really the only way to make a GF-3 5w30 oil. Of course, Group I could still be used if PAO or Group III were blended in to meet the spec, but then it gets down to cost again. Virtually all companies have chosen to go the Group II/II+ route to meet the GF-3 specs. (There has been some posts on here that say Mobil Drive Clean is Group I, but that's never been verified as far as I know, and I seriously doubt it's actually true.)

Actually some are using blends of group I's and 2-2+ base oils in these OTC SL oils.

I agree Mobil Drive Clean is not a group I base oil only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back