Castrol GTX and GTX Syn Blend, no more sodium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to use mostly SOPUS products lately for conventionals, but have a looonnnnggggg history with Castrol which always seemed to work well also. I honestly got away from Castrol in part due to the sodium add packs they were using. I didn't like it potentially masking coolant in a UOA, and I especially didn't like that the sodium was still showing up in UOA's 3 OCI's later after using non-sodium add pack oils all that time.

Here's an PQIA test of GTX 5w30, SN but a sodium add pack:

PQIA Castrol GTX 5w30

Then I saw this the other day, a newer SN GTX 5w20 VOA at the PQIA.

PQIA GTX 5w20

And then I found this UOA, on the GTX Syn Blend, this oil I am interested in like the specs:

Castrol GTX Syn Blend 5w30 UOA

No sodium again! Do you think Castrol is actually moving away from sodium additive in GTX, or are these flukes? Blended by different sources maybe? I know Valvoline was blending GTX for a while and they are big sodium users. You wouldn't think they'd use different add packs in the same GTX line between grades, would they?

I'd be interested in giving the SynBlend a shot in my wife's KIA if there's not any sodium in it anymore. I finally got a deal on filters for the KIA so a 5k OCI on Syn Blend makes more financial sense than a 7k OCI on full syn (the max I'm allowed by warranty).

Thoughts? I guess I could ask Castrol about it!
crackmeup2.gif

Sodium compounds are Muli-Functional additive components (like calcium additives) that provide:

1. detergency
2. rust and corrosion protection
3. cold temp friction control.

So there is no need to be wary of Sodium additives:

Sodium Compounds

I'm not afraid of it I just don't care for it. I didn't know it was a low temp friction fighter though, might have to reconsider my bias.

Thank you for the link.

This will be something i look into a lil further. Esp after i suggested my dad run the gtx blend in his new frontier. This looks great IMO for a 5000 mile oci he wants to follow. Keep us updated KC

Last edited:
They switched to non sodium when they were get getting the dexos certifications for the synblends.

You know i run edge with good results and to see them change up the formula on the gtx/blend, this oil seems to be solid despite the lack of followers castrol has on the forum.

The GTX Syn blend really intrigues me. It is Dexos rated and also on the thick side for grade. I'm thinking it might be a great match for a 5k OCI in the wife's KIA. It ran unbelievably quiet on the Edge I used in it before, wondering how the syn blend would do.

I drive a Kia Soul (2013 Base Model) and I drive the heck out of it. Like I have for my last four cars, since 2000, I use only Castrol GYX and 5W20 as prescribed by Kia. I change it every 3k miles and I lace it with Prolong Anti Friction Additive. My little 1.6L Kia Soul runs like a scalded cat!!!
I couldn't ask for better performance.'
When I drain my engine oil at 3k, it's still better than some of the snake oil that some guys are putting in their cars.
I use my drain oil for all sorts of things around my place.
Waste not, want not!

cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back