Castrol GTX and 3million mile Volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's been rebuilt several times,then to be accurate,the number of times it's been rebuilt needs to be divided into the total miles,and then you'll come out with the true mileage. It cant be a 3 million mile car unless it's never been rebuilt within that 3 million miles. What I consider a feat,is to see how many miles a car has gone on the original engine,untouched.

To be fair, it's still remarkable that the parts of the engine that DID go 3 million miles are in such good shape.

After doing some reading, the first rebuild was @ 687k miles. He bought this car in my hometown Huntington, NY and drove 125 miles a day on the L.I.E for 30 years. That's a good way to rack up the miles and he's probably the only person ever to travel that far on that road for 30 years with the same car. I'm surprised it has lasted so long with the brutal winters and road salt.

An impressive feat regardless. Most of the driving population do not own and maintain the same car or truck for 100k no less 3 million miles.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
After doing some reading, the first rebuild was @ 687k miles.

That's definitely believable. In my mind,it's a 687,000 mile car,because that's how far it went on the 100% original engine. The engine could be rebuilt till the end of time and that'd make it a forever mile car in that case. To me,you go by original untouched engine.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wonder what weight oil he used in that, 20w50????

Me too. I'm thinking maybe GTX 20W50 because my old neighbor's 1985 Volvo said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wonder what weight oil he used in that, 20w50????

Me too. I'm thinking maybe GTX 20W50 because my old neighbor's 1985 Volvo said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap.

All pictures of him show either 10W40 or 20W50.

even OTR trucks that are designed for long engine life they require an inframe at 800.000-1.000.000 miles.

These Volvo engines were tough back then, but I can't believe that's the original (unopened) engine, if it has been rebuilt then it isn't the original engine anymore (for me atleast.)

I'm sure I can get my 2006 Volkswagen Phaeton to run 10 Million miles if I keep replacing broken parts if they are still available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back