Castrol GTX 5w30, 9750 miles OCI, 2000 Mustang 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
You have to be careful with carbon build up around the rings with a OCI over 5,000 miles with dino, any kind.

Please..
smirk2.gif

Plenty of engines out there are going WELL over 5k OCI with conventional oils and have NO problems over the boogy man and his carbon build up on the rings.

And those engines go on and on with no worries.

And the guy you are quoting feels IN HIS OPINION that UOAs are useless (like a few others here).

If I have a engine with has OVER 350k miles on YESTERDAYS oils and its still going, another over 250k miles again on YESTERDAYS oils and its fine (and I could go on) where are all the ring deposits?

Back to the OP. While I think the oil did well, I'd prob back it down to a 8k OCI and you'll be fine. You are getting a excellent value with the oil!

Your engine will last just as long or longer than running a 10k OCI with someone elses favorite Koolaid...

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster
FE is not high. Pleazzze. Tbn would be nice.

Show me where I said the wear is high?

I wasn't talking about you.

FE is not high. Pleazzze. Tbn would be nice.

Show me where I said the wear is high?

I wasn't talking about you.

Oh OK - I just saw: "[Re: Pablo]"

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...If I have a engine with has OVER 350k miles on YESTERDAYS oils and its still going, another over 250k miles again on YESTERDAYS oils and its fine (and I could go on) where are all the ring deposits? ...

Do you happen to know the OCI on those engines?

I worked at a dyno lab in 1994 that ran an 800 hr endurance test on a Neon 2.0L 16 valve engine for Chrysler. The test was a one hour cycle with rpms ranging from 2000 to 6000, mostly 5000 and under. The throttle was wide open at these various rpms for atleast 40 minutes of the hour. At the end of each hour, it would run 5500 for a minute and rest for a minute three times. Then it would do 6000 for 30 seconds and rest once or twice. I believe we changed the oil every 100 hrs. The oil was Mopar conventional 5w30 which was Citgo at the time. With an average rpm of 3500, that would equate to a speed of about 85 mph and 8500 mile OCI. They did not run UOA's, which kind of surprises me looking back. They just wanted to know if it would survive. One did and one didn't, but it wasn't a wear issue, it was a head gasket I believe. I used to hear this thing scream and make its 130 hp at the end of every hour, all day long. I can't remember exactly how much, but the oil consumption was pretty reasonable. After that experience, I decided the 3,000 mile OCI under normal conditions was absolutely ridiculous.
The reason I have run UOA's beyond just curiosity is to get out of superstition, emotion and hunches and get some facts. If someone wants to stay in superstition and fear, why bother getting the oil analyzed and why bother being on here?
I have never kept a car long enough to wear an engine out. Has anyone really? They ride rougher and look worse every year a lot faster than the engine wears out generally. I think I am going to run Walmart Supertech next change and go 10k just to irritate some people on here. :

Last edited:
Careful Dave.

There are some members here who don't like facts.

They love marketing and myths...
20.gif

As someone who normally drives my own vehicles to around 200-250k then someone I know buys them and takes it to the junkyard so I get to see the results first hand I do care what and how the engine runs and lasts.

Thanks for the post and UOA!
cheers3.gif

Bill

I ran a 1994 Buick Lesabre 3800 from 185k to 215k a few years back. It ran fine when I got rid of it for $500, I was just ready for the Mustang. With this economy, I might run the Mustang just as far, but it will be rusting out, riding rough and running fine whenever I get rid of it. I have had engines that were tight but leaked and I have had engines that didn't leak but were loose. This is the first one I remember that is both tight AND doesn't leak. From what I've heard, brand new Ford 302's burned more oil out of the plant than mine does at 150k. I think I go about 6000 on a quart. It's so little I'm not used to it. BTW, if there is a difference, my engine consumes less 5w20 than 5w30. I will watch it more closely this time. My theory is that it washes off the cylinder walls quicker, so less is there to get past the rings.

Originally Posted By: daman
Mmmmm Kool-Aid......U R my idle
smirk2.gif

It's idol BTW...

No..i ment idle??

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
run a killer oil filter (m1, Pureone, Fram extended guard, Bosch w/ filtech) and see if we cant get that FE down to trace. A grp-iii base oil would be better than a PAO for that.

Pure speculation and guessing is not what BITOG is all about.

So first we will need the data that those oil filters will lower Fe , then we will be waiting for the data that shows a group III base oil produces lower Fe in UOA's than Group IV based oils.
Speculation? The "better" filter media will keep the Fe suspension out of the analysis sample, And these brands have already been shown to improve particulate counts in some of our members studies. Just regurgitating what I've read here. Granted the Fe may be solubilised through EP AW action and may be difficult to minimise. I dont think its speculation that PAO is a substandard lubricant in the EP and boundary lubrication regime. So he should try nothing different? Nothing Ventured? Nothing to be done to move the understanding process forward at his expense providing our entertainment?!

Last edited:
Mmmmm Kool-Aid......U R my idle
smirk2.gif

It's idol BTW...

No..i ment idle??

It's Meant BTW...

Last edited:
You have to be careful with carbon build up around the rings with a OCI over 5,000 miles with dino, any kind.

Please..
smirk2.gif

Plenty of engines out there are going WELL over 5k OCI with conventional oils and have NO problems over the boogy man and his carbon build up on the rings.

And those engines go on and on with no worries.

And the guy you are quoting feels IN HIS OPINION that UOAs are useless (like a few others here).

If I have a engine with has OVER 350k miles on YESTERDAYS oils and its still going, another over 250k miles again on YESTERDAYS oils and its fine (and I could go on) where are all the ring deposits?

Back to the OP. While I think the oil did well, I'd prob back it down to a 8k OCI and you'll be fine. You are getting a excellent value with the oil!

Your engine will last just as long or longer than running a 10k OCI with someone elses favorite Koolaid...

Take care, bill

Bill,
Please don't get excited over this opinion of mine that if I used dino I wouldn't pass 5000 miles OCI. It's just my belief.
By the way congratulation on the very high mileage you have obtained on you engines. You must maintain them well to reach that level of longivity.

Originally Posted By: Dave_Reagan
I think I am going to run Walmart Supertech next change and go 10k just to irritate some people on here. :

LOL.gif

run what you like, for as long as you like. It's not my car so I really don't care what you do with it. If pushing the limits turns your crank, stick with it. But be clear, it makes no difference to 99% of people on this board what you do with your stang.

The main reason I moved away from conventional is piston, ring pack varnishing and having a consistent performer. I must be imagining my ring varnishing. All those engines I tore down with varnished, gummy ring packs. Major problem in the past with grp-I oils.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Dave_Reagan
I think I am going to run Walmart Supertech next change and go 10k just to irritate some people on here. :

LOL.gif

run what you like, for as long as you like. It's not my car so I really don't care what you do with it. If pushing the limits turns your crank, stick with it. But be clear, it makes no difference to 99% of people on this board what you do with your stang.
Not very polite, Web.

Dave:There are many STS fans here doing excellent,long OCI on STS. This is a big club. I'm not in it, but its a big fanbase.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I agree that modern dino can go a long way. I've done numerous 8-9k runs on dino oil, and my last UOA was great.

Insols. and visc. are great for that length of a run! Good show!

It's my understanding your engine can be worn out but the UOA can still look good. The guy with the turbo buick here on BITOG has reported this.My advise is don't go past 5,000 miles on any dino.

It is nice to see people on here still know more than Honda and the likes.

Honda Canada states 5k mile oci. Subaru Canada mandates a 3750 mile oci. Honda's I4 and Subaru's H4 are two of the easiest engines on oil. General statements can be the root of all evil.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back