Castrol GTX 5w20 for Mazda 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get good deal on Castrol GTX 5w20. It would be going in our '07 Mazda 3 which gets 3000-3500 mile OCI. The car is a daily driver that sees about 9,000 miles/year. How does it compare to Penzoil 5w20 or does it even really matter at my OCI?

Go for it. Mazda 3's are easy on oil unless you have the DI turbo.

I think other brands have a better pack than British Petrol Castrol, though their 5w-20 is stronger than their 5w-30, if I recall correctly.

I have the Mazda 3 with the 2.3 Non Turbo motor. I run basically anything in it. Right now I'm approaching 5000 miles on Supertech 5w30. I prefer a 30wt because I think that a 20wt makes the valve train too noisy in these cars.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I have the Mazda 3 with the 2.3 Non Turbo motor. I run basically anything in it. Right now I'm approaching 5000 miles on Supertech 5w30. I prefer a 30wt because I think that a 20wt makes the valve train too noisy in these cars.

Did u hear noise with a cold engine only?
My Mazda3 has recently exhibited tick/slap for the last 2 OCI (~15k miles). However, it has been on 5W-20 from day 1.
The only difference I can see in my OCI process is that I went to a Purolator Pure One filter these last 2 OCI's.

I will change back to an OEM filter to see if this eliminates it.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will get the Castrol since it is a great deal. It sounds like any 5w20 will be fine with this car as long as I'm not getting any engine noise, which I'm not.

I, too, am about to try some GTX 5w20 in my 2.3. You must be referring to the AAP deal going right now. Good deal especially with the purolator.

Right now Im using PYB. Just a hint of cold startup chatter. At operating temp, one of the quieter oils I've used.

Before this, I had M1 0w20. No cold startup chatter at all, but it was louder once at operating temp.

Im looking forward to trying the GTX. I think its the thickest 20 weight available.

Im trying out every 20 weight I can easily get my hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back