Castrol GTX 4K Mi. 1994 Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
5117783235_5827ec575a_b.jpg

Truck has 128K on it. Oil changes every 3-4K.

I would...that's enough potassium to indicate a definite anti-freeze leak. The Si is alo very high for the miles, so I'd a HG going, and allowing extra dirt and AF into the oil.

You HAVE caught this early, as it hasn't done any severe damage, but the leak has started. Maybe tightening the headbolts, or putting in a sealant will keep it at bay.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I would...that's enough potassium to indicate a definite anti-freeze leak. The Si is alo very high for the miles, so I'd a HG going, and allowing extra dirt and AF into the oil.

You HAVE caught this early, as it hasn't done any severe damage, but the leak has started. Maybe tightening the headbolts, or putting in a sealant will keep it at bay.

+1 on that. K is high enough to warrant a check of the cooling system.

The perceived lack of shear COULD be an indication of problems - coolant is getting into the oil, and thickening it up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The perceived lack of shear COULD be an indication of problems - coolant is getting into the oil, and thickening it up.

Exactly. That level of K is pretty significant. It could literally go any time.

Thanks for all the feedback. That is interesting and in line with what I thought. The response from Blackstone was to not freak out. They said to watch it -- UOA every 6 months or so -- and think about doing head gaskets if it gets worse. It's been wanting the same cup of coolant per oil change for at least two years.

I run GTX 5W-30 or 10W-30 (mainly using 5W-30 now) in cars that I don't put synthetic in. It's a great oil. Unfortunately the picture isn't up of the UOA anymore for me. I'd loved to have seen it.

According to the posters, it seems to have done exceptionally well.

Originally Posted By: jorton
What would oil, coolant mix look like on the dipstick? Co-worker says oil, water mix looks like sludge.

Oh, and to answer this. It does turn into a milky substance. And if it's really bad, your dipstick will show way overfilled with all that milky gunk on it.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Originally Posted By: jorton
What would oil, coolant mix look like on the dipstick? Co-worker says oil, water mix looks like sludge.

Oh, and to answer this. It does turn into a milky substance. And if it's really bad, your dipstick will show way overfilled with all that milky gunk on it.

It will often also leave a white sludge/paste like coating on the underside of your oil fill cap. Clean your fill cap real well and monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back