Castrol GTX 10w30 & General ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, boy where do I start?
So is castrol 10w30 a decent oil? Seems way to many people do not like castrol. Will this stuff hold up for 5k miles and do some cleaning? Ive never used castrol, so I bought it, though I did not open it. Maybe I will take it back and buy Old faithful maxlife. Although For some reason I want to change. But maxlife has been working so well for 40+k miles. Stick with what's been working, or change it up to something else? I was thinking about supertech synthetic 10w30? It's 17,vs the maxlife at 13.50. Ugh. I worry about the small things in life because it's
Near the only things I can change. :-/.. . happy spring! It's 55f in upper ny!

Don't sweat the small stuff! I am no huge fan of GTX but the 10w30 with your driving habits will be a fine oil for you summer change. Do not worry about it. It may run better who knows? It definitely won't hurt your car.

Last edited:
Down here my local WM goes through a bunch of Castrol GTX....seems to always be empty, near empty, or pushed way back on the shelves from people picking it up. I think it's one of those "old timer" trusted brands....but have heard good of MaxLife too....though can you really compare a conventional (GTX) to a high mileage, synthetic blend oil (MaxLife)?

smile.gif

I would just keep using the maxlife, if it's brought you this far. That and the fact it's a synthetic blend.

Pertaining to GTX, it is a good oil too. I have no doubt it would do 5k.

At 13.50 for 5 quarts Maxlife is a great deal.
GTX has always been a very good oil IMO, but with 220K the Maxlife is a good choice.

At 150 miles per day do you do monthly oil changes? What a pain! Doesn't walmart have one of those 15,000 mile synthetics? You should get that and change every 10k.

Two of my vehicles use Castrol GTX. One has almost 82k and the other almost 139k. No reason for me to change away from the GTX on those two vehicles. 4k OCIs

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Two of my vehicles use Castrol GTX. One has almost 82k and the other almost 139k. No reason for me to change away from the GTX on those two vehicles. 4k OCIs

Just curious, what two vehicles do you have?

Thanks for the "positive" response. So this castrol will be going In the 93k mile olds ciera. On the Buick I have to change the oil once a month. The ciera if I use it more will also have to change it around every 30 days. With the Buick that will stay maxlife as it has been working great for 40 some k miles. But the olds is a experiment to see what oil is going to give the engine the most pep with out making it feel sluggish because of the thicker oil. Right now it has 40% Mmo and 60% rotella 15w40. After 1000+ miles the oil is nice and dark, the valve tick under load is gone, and im getting around 24.2 mpg with around a 50/50 mix of driving, and many wot up to around 4200 rpms. Shes a total sleeper for what she is as 75 mph is about 8 secs away. Im sure the castrol will be fine, but I don't know if I will stick with it. To be honest I bought it thinking it's a older oil and will in turn be better for the engine because older oils is what this car was run on. thanks! Cheers

Originally Posted By: pbm
At 13.50 for 5 quarts Maxlife is a great deal.
GTX has always been a very good oil IMO, but with 220K the Maxlife is a good choice.

I have to agree with this. you could use either.
If you used Maxlife my experience is you tend to keep using Maxlife, but i like it a lil better over GTX. But there is absolutely nothign wrong with either one.
Maxxlife is chepaer too. (spelled wrong on purpoose)

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
GTX performs comparable to some syn

Given the right conditions, namely a lack of long OCI's and extremes in cold temperature or unusually hot engine operating conditions, so does just about every other name brand Dino oil.

Originally Posted By: SL2
Hello, boy where do I start?
So is castrol 10w30 a decent oil? Seems way to many people do not like castrol. Will this stuff hold up for 5k miles and do some cleaning? Ive never used castrol, so I bought it, though I did not open it. Maybe I will take it back and buy Old faithful maxlife. Although For some reason I want to change. But maxlife has been working so well for 40+k miles. Stick with what's been working, or change it up to something else? I was thinking about supertech synthetic 10w30? It's 17,vs the maxlife at 13.50. Ugh. I worry about the small things in life because it's
Near the only things I can change. :-/.. . happy spring! It's 55f in upper ny!
skip the GTX you pay too much for it. $13.50 for max life or $15 GTX? total rip off. stick with max life. ST HM is pretty good, heres a link for stats. ST syn isnt the best. It has a TBN of if Im remember right 4.5ish. Id like to see where it stands with SN, but its worth skipping and getting QSUD or Mobil Super syn for $19
Super Tech High Mileage stats

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Errtt

Just curious, what two vehicles do you have?

Out of 4 vehicles, the 2 mentioned that use Castrol GTX are both 98 Toyota's. Camry (82k) and Rav-4, meant to say 137k instead of 139.

I have been using Castrol GTX since I can remember, and I will never change it up. My 96 Mustang w/ 175k mil has no build up and the valve cover are very well lubricated. The question is why will you change it up. If Maxlife is doing good for you then keep using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back