Castrol Formula R 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol sells a Formula R 5w30 synthetic down under in Australia with some pretty impressive viscosity specs and OEM approvals:

Vis @ 100°C = 12.2
Vis @ 40°C = 72.5
shocked.gif
(Mobil 1 5w30 is 53.7)
VI = 168
Pour Point = -40°C (not too impressive.)

SL/CF A3/B3/B4
MB 229.1, 229.3
BMW LongLife 01
Porsche approved
VW 502, 505

[ May 28, 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Isn't Castrol originally a U.K. company? Maybe that's why headquarters are in Europe and they're probably laughing at our regulations....

Thanks Patman....if it wasn't for the German 0-30, I never would have tried the 5-50!

Let's remember that motor oil in Europe is considerably more expensive than in North America. I suspect that the importation of SLX 0w-30 was simply to "fill a void" in their product line. That void is an oil that is less than 50weight but meets modern european car specs. I suspect that their profits on this SLX is much less than the others in their syntec line. They need this to offer a complete line to dealers.
If they did bring those oils over, they'd be really expensive. Most folks are shocked at the price of synthetic already - and that is the premium product. I think the market for an ultra premium product is much smaller.
Thank them for the importation of SLX and be happy.
Remember "Not to be sold outside of North America". It's there for a reason.

Yeah, I don't see this becomming too popular anytime soon. Until the US starts pushing 10k mile drains, I don't see it happening. Plus, aren't we going the other way with 20wt oils?

Is Castrol capable of making oils as good or better then Mobil? I always thought Mobil had the upper hand in R&D and technology? I'm also wondering if Mobil's european oils are better then over here? Delvac 1 might meet many of the specs.

My Chem Eng friends from graduate school all aspired to work for Exxon in the States or Shell in Europe, they seem to have the best R&D departments period.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Why is Castrol welling to sell motor oils like this in other countries, but not in the United States?

From my perspective, it is simply a matter of profits. Castrol (and others) can get away with 'lesser' oils in the US given the standards are less demanding than in Europe. Instead, they produce a cheaper oil and rely on marketing to push it as something better than it really is. If US standards for oil were as stringent as other parts of the world, we'd defacto see better but perhaps more expensive high end oils. And then there is the CAFE factor as being a very high priority in the US versus perhaps a better oil that may not meet high energy efficiency.

The Formula R range replaced SLX 0W30 etc. Very flashy containers but I'd find it hard to use Castrol after the 'synthetic' stoush with Mobil. I think we'll Timken test some and see how it does. Full range here is 0W40, 5W30, 10W60, 25W50.

Why is Castrol welling to sell motor oils like this in other countries, but not in the United States? For that matter, why don't more companies that sell motor oil in Europe also sell the oil in the United States? European motor oil has to meet higher standards.

It seems to me that Castrol could sell European type Castrol oil in the United States and truly say in their advertising that the motor oil they are selling outperfroms all other motor oils sold in the US. After all, the motor oil from Europe must meet higher standards.

Castrol is also selling in some other countries some kind of motor oil that has some sort of magnetic additives. But this oil is not sold in the US. Does Castrol do their testing in other countries and then sell in the US?

If sales of Castrol's 0w30 take off in North America, I'd be willing to bet they'll start bringing more European oils over here. And just think, it was this forum which helped spread the word! (in particular, it was Dr.T's post that he spotted the stuff here in the first place, otherwise I never would've even picked up a bottle of Syntec!)

It would be nice if Castrol started making the Syntec 5w-30 here in the US, the Formular R that is found down under. Anyone know if this is a PAO/Ester blend? Based on specs I'd say it is.
smile.gif

Guys, this stuff is oh so close in specs to 5w30 TXT Softec, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same thing. TXT Softec is still available in Oz car dealerships as well as Europe.

TXT Softec :
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...sets/downloads/t/TXT_Softec_LL01_B1567_02.pdf

versus Formula R 5w30 :
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...ds/a/AU_Castrol_Formula_R_Synthetic_5W_30.pdf

This stuff, according to Castrol's Oz techline, is group 3 hydrocracked (as is TXT Softec). Apparently they told Sprintman it's all Group 3, no PAO or Ester. However, after reading TS's comments about B4 ratings, there must be a little PAO and/or ester in the mix.

Is Castrol capable of making oils as good or better then Mobil? I always thought Mobil had the upper hand in R&D and technology? I'm also wondering if Mobil's european oils are better then over here?

Some of us think the fake American 'Syntec' is as good in protection as the true synthetic M-1. The Belguim & German Castrol is even better oil in our opinions.

Hi,
now who do we mean when we say Castrol?
Is it BP or ARAL or Burmah or...............

Castrol was once a leader in R&D and probably still are. IMHO the dilution really started when BP paid over the bucks to buy them

Their synthetic Syntrax, Syntrans gear oils and Transmax Z ATF are probably the best in the business bar none

Regards
Doug

Castrol Formula R 5w-30 is a group3 synthetic. 0w-40 and 10w-60 PAO.,25-50 also group3.
R 5w-30 cant be BMW LL-01 it must be LL-98.
BMW LL-01 must be PAO or Esters according to the BMW.new one is BMW LL-04.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Yeah, I don't see this becomming too popular anytime soon. Until the US starts pushing 10k mile drains, I don't see it happening. Plus, aren't we going the other way with 20wt oils?

Is Castrol capable of making oils as good or better then Mobil? I always thought Mobil had the upper hand in R&D and technology? I'm also wondering if Mobil's european oils are better then over here? Delvac 1 might meet many of the specs.

It is not a question of capability it is a question of selling price.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back