Castrol engineers talk on start-up wear (advert)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said previously, had an evening dinner with one of the chemists who worked on the Magnatec range of tests here in Oz in the 1990s...at the time, he was an ex castrol chemist,so really had nothing to gain plugging a proprietary additive.

His explanation of start-up wear was that initially the oil working between surfaces is very very thick, and provides ample parts separation, which reduces as viscosity falls, and wear occurs mostly at the point that the thinning oil isn't doing the job and the additives have yet to become fully functional...pretty well the general understanding.

When quizzed about esters, it was "not just any ester"...interestingly, their "baseline" oil for the testing was M1 5W50.

Advertorial from Castol

http://magnatec.castrol.com/castrol-oil-products/magnatec/

Crazy IMO that we have the GTX range, the Magnatec range (vast), and the Edge, competing against each other...

Shannow, GTX aside what is main difference between Magnatec and Edge line in your opinion? I assume they are both group III with similar ad pack?

The magnatec is supposed to be the only one that has the UMA ester...honestly don't know why they wouldn't put it in Edge, but maybe they are playing some other game with it...edge is more expensive than nearly every Magnetec.

Used their 5W40 a while ago.

I agree that Magnatec has a great value proposition and makes one wonder why buy Edge.

It seems thay Castrol think that marketing Magnatec to Americans is problematic, but I think the more cluey Canadians would go for it.

They claim a quieter and smoother engine. Maybe all the BITOG members that claim the same aren't crazy after all.

Also read about their stop-start oil. Interesting, but a lot of marketing hype in both.

So it was never the cold start killing us but warm-up? What took so long?

Castrol GTX "Start Up" was basically the same stuff. That was awesome oil. This is one American that would buy it. I loved that oil and would use it over anything currently available. It even looked like Magnatec on the bottle. If you put it on your fingers it was like a coating. My engines ran smoother on it. No doubt. I wish it would come back for sale in the states.

Last edited:
Magnatec is semi-syn equivalent of castrol line-up outside the US. Cheaper option for people who do not want to spend a lot for Castrol Edge.

Wear occurs during warm up so you want an oil with high Boron or Sodium additives for low temp wear protection...You also want low VII polymers. QS Defy 10w30 is a good choice.

I suspect Synpower is recommended by some because it has a cool name and/or a pretty bottle...Or their advertisements strike a shallow emotional connection.

Perhaps a 50/50 mix of QS Defy 10w30 and Mobil Super 5K 10w30 is ideal if you don't fear mixing oil additive chemistry.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The magnatec is supposed to be the only one that has the UMA ester...honestly don't know why they wouldn't put it in Edge, but maybe they are playing some other game with it...edge is more expensive than nearly every Magnetec.

Used their 5W40 a while ago.

"UMA" is an old term Castrol do not use anymore. Whatever it is it is also part of edge range though they do not claim it. Edge is claiming higher film strength than before due to a similar additive technology but activated at lower temp and pressure so better than magnatec.

I noticed the Castrol Dexos syn blend I've been running lately in the KIA has some "exceptional short trip protection" verbage on the bottle, but it's also high in boron so I don't know if it has the secret sauce or not.

Thanks for the link, while it's manufacturer advertising at least it is much better stuff than we usually get from "Think with your dipstick" Castrol.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
...while it's manufacturer advertising at least it is much better stuff than we usually get from "Think with your dipstick" Castrol.

Can't say i disagree.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
...while it's manufacturer advertising at least it is much better stuff than we usually get from "Think with your dipstick" Castrol.

Can't say i disagree.

You'd be surprised that, in markets where HC "synthetics" are labeled as such right on the bottle, that simpleton [censored] like the 'dipstick' campaign would not be very successful
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Wear occurs during warm up so you want an oil with high Boron or Sodium additives for low temp wear protection...You also want low VII polymers. QS Defy 10w30 is a good choice.

Molakule explains pretty well here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729116#Post729116

and in other threads also, that the wider variety of AW additives, the broader spread of activation temperatures.

Won't talk for the guy, but he brewed this with a wide variety of additives for that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back