Castrol Elexion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw an ad and am curious if it might be really synthetic or another group 3 ?
Just curious !
GregH

Currently using this oil in my Isuzu Trooper 2001 LS, with 4JX1 turbo-charged, inter-cooled, 3.0-liter, common-rail direct-injection, diesel engine. I would guess that this is a Group III oil, most probably hydrocracked, judging from its roots.

If you will look at this site:
Castrol Elixion technical specifications

you will note that the technical specifications of the oil is identical with the specs of the BP Vanellus C8 Ultima, as seen in this site:
BP Vanellus C8 Ultima technical specifications

Just guessing..

Thanks for the reply, I just saw an add and wondered if it is something new.
Thanks again
Greg Harrison

How's it working?

About like the Amsoil, Series 3000, 5w-30 did when it was first introduced - in 1996
wink.gif

ondoy,
is it legit to use in the Isuzu ?

Reason being that my D.I. Navara (Nissan) specifies nothing more advanced than CF-4, and it's a pain.

Mitsubishi's "diamond" diesel engine oil advertsies that it's "semi synthetic", CF-4, and meets the Japanese requirement for high ash oils.

shannow:
quote:

is it legit to use in the Isuzu ?

Reason being that my D.I. Navara (Nissan) specifies nothing more advanced than CF-4, and it's a pain.

Mitsubishi's "diamond" diesel engine oil advertsies that it's "semi synthetic", CF-4, and meets the Japanese requirement for high ash oils.

Isuzu's user manual for the 4JX1-TC engine only states to use "API CD, SAE 10W-30 or 5W-30 diesel engine oil". It has no categorical restriction to using an engine oil with an API rating higher than CD grade. On this account, IMO, it is OK to use an HDMO with an API CI-4 rating, like the Castrol Elixion.

Like what you said, friends told me they are in a quandary as to what engine oil to use in their Nissan diesel engines. One says, his user manual restricts him to use an HDMO rated no higher than API CG-4. Nowadays, (locally) nobody markets HDMOs rated lower than API CH-4. So, what they do? These guys now use only PCMOs, like Mobil 1, in their Nissan diesel engines.

We cannot understand why Nissan does not tune their diesel engine design to use the latest HDMO formulations.

ondoy......

ondoy,
that's the bind.

The oil manufactureres are specifying passenger car oils to meet the "no higher than CF-4" requirement, which in my beleif is not what Nissan wanted.

So I'm using a group 1, which is designed to meet the Japanese specs, and aren't particularly happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back