Castrol Edge -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
There's a lot of talk in this thread about Redline being THE boutique of choice if you're going to spend the bucks. But I thought Redline was primarily a track oil - and that the street driving UOAs are nothing to write home about. (?)

Good old Delo 400 LE is holding its own though.
grin2.gif

Absolutely Redline IS a track/high performance-street type oil for harsh shear stress, contamination and temp conditions. They (redline and other specialty blenders) don't sit back and develop products just to meet Joe six pack's putzer whims or various lackluster engineering, via unforeseen circumstances in many cases, OEM specs (read as operation oops I need a slow bleed type bandage to get me through warranty period or to make CAFE/emissions). Also Ben I do agree with you that good old Delo 400 (CI-4+ and CJ-4LE) is a solid lubricant for the price point and performs well in gas and diesel engines.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about Redline being THE boutique of choice if you're going to spend the bucks. But I thought Redline was primarily a track oil - and that the street driving UOAs are nothing to write home about. (?)

Meanwhile, the Edge end-cap display at the local Wally's always seems in perfect order. Like it hasn't been touched since it was set up. Every time I see it I wonder "is any one even looking at this stuff". Doesn't seem to be a jug missing.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I have switched to Edge from M1 for my Corvette, due to my high lead readings in my UOA the past 3 years. Price difference is little to pay if it wears 8X's better.

I continue to use M1 in all my other vehicles.

Corvette Owner - did you ever try EP in that Corvette ?

Mobil 1 EP does not list the "GM Corvette" Oil Spec (GM 4718M), on the bottle. If it doesn't meet that spec, I won't use it. I did Email Mobil and they said it does meet the spec and I can use it, but I doubt that, why wouldn't they list it on the bottle or website?

Last edited:

Meanwhile, the Edge end-cap display at the local Wally's always seems in perfect order. Like it hasn't been touched since it was set up. Every time I see it I wonder "is any one even looking at this stuff". Doesn't seem to be a jug missing.

I have switched to Edge from M1 for my Corvette, due to my high lead readings in my UOA the past 3 years. Price difference is little to pay if it wears 8X's better.

Mobil 1 EP does not list the "GM Corvette" Oil Spec (GM 4718M), on the bottle. If it doesn't meet that spec, I won't use it. I did Email Mobil and they said it does meet the spec and I can use it, but I doubt that, why wouldn't they list it on the bottle or website?

If they say it's good go for it,it needs to say it on the bottle for you to "feel good". It's a outstanding oil built very well, what could possibly go wrong with it?

that car is waaay outa warranty and would be fine using it..

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
So far so good. No changes from when I used Redline 5w20.

Just curious how you can tell this w/o hard evidence to back it up. Redline would surely be the superior oil here and at the cost of Edge - might as well go Redline.

No changes as in power, smoothness, ect. . .
Redline was getting to pricy at 9 bucks a qt.

We can not call any oil "superior" compared to the other. As that is subjective and objective. Yes, I do agree if you were looking for a high end pricy oil, Redline is the way to go.

As we know, oils like Redline are great perfomers with heat and pressure. But my driving has been cut a lot. I often do not get the coolant up to temp, let alone the oil. So since my main issue now is fuel and water dilution, I wanted to go back to PP. Right when I was planning to do my oil change, Edge came out. So me used to paying 9+tax a qt, did not mind buying Edge to try.

As I said, so far so good. No changes in sounds, feeling, smoothness. No sudden oil leaks or consumption. I am sure its a good oil. Next OCI, I very well may go back to GC or PP. . . .

Good points. As for Redline being superior to Edge - I was just referring to the fact that RL is a Grp V oil with a known solid add pack.

Do you really think EP is an inferior product compared to regular M1? It probably has the same base stock as the regular M1 but with a better add pack.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Taylor - Castrol's Edge range has a very good reputation
I have just returned here from Germany and Castrol's lubricants there are very popular amongst the racing fraternity. Many Audi, Porsche, Clio, Corvette privateers and some fleet racers do amongst others

The Castrol Syntec RS range in 0W-40, a 5W-40 variant and 10W-60 viscosities are popularly used. Recently (two weekends back) at the Nurburgring, Castrol was the only Oil Company with Service representation on site!

Castrol has always produced great engine and drivetrain lubricants. Their expertise in synthetics - especially Group 5 - extends back 70 years or so

As with any product, you largely get what you pay for!!

Well there's a contrarian point. Just when my distrust, distaste, and disrespect for Edge was about to crescendo, Hillary comes in with the voice of reason.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody

Do you really think EP is an inferior product compared to regular M1? It probably has the same base stock as the regular M1 but with a better add pack.

I remember reading at some point that EP had more PAO in it then the regular Mobil 1. I don't know if this is true or not, but EP appears to be a better Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I remember reading at some point that EP had more PAO in it then the regular Mobil 1. I don't know if this is true or not, but EP appears to be a better Mobil 1.

EP has 50% more SuperSyn than reg. M1 (per Mobil1 company statement) and per a technical write-up on SuperSyn, the name "SuperSyn" is indeed descriptive -

"Mobil SuperSyn PAOs were developed to extend the range of conventional high viscosity PAOs and maintain excellent low temperature fluidity. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are a new class of high viscosity, high Viscosity Index (VI) polyalphaolefins manufactured by Mobil Chemical using patented, proprietary technology. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are offered in four viscosities 150, 300, 1000 and 3000 cSt at 100 deg C, and are typically used at low treat rates to balance viscometrics and/or improve various qualities of the finished product. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are completely miscible with conventional PAOs, esters and mineral oils and have viscosity indices 35-200 units higher than conventional PAO fluids."

(my bold)

Last edited:
They should discontinue regular MB-1,and just market the better formula. Their are too many oil`s to choose from as so as it is.

EP has 50% more SuperSyn than reg. M1 (per Mobil1 company statement) and per a technical write-up on SuperSyn, the name "SuperSyn" is indeed descriptive -

"Mobil SuperSyn PAOs were developed to extend the range of conventional high viscosity PAOs and maintain excellent low temperature fluidity. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are a new class of high viscosity, high Viscosity Index (VI) polyalphaolefins manufactured by Mobil Chemical using patented, proprietary technology. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are offered in four viscosities 150, 300, 1000 and 3000 cSt at 100 deg C, and are typically used at low treat rates to balance viscometrics and/or improve various qualities of the finished product. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are completely miscible with conventional PAOs, esters and mineral oils and have viscosity indices 35-200 units higher than conventional PAO fluids."

(my bold)

Hey, thanks!

I always thought "SuperSyn" was just more meaningless marketing Bee-ess.

(Of course, saying "50% more" really doesn't say much...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
BMW stealerships have changed from M1 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40 fwiw. I can buy Edge 0W40 cheaper than sts M1 0W40 too.

Is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back