Castrol Edge -

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the price point and the positioning. The oil offers a solution for a problem/need that doesn't exist. At that price they should to be going after Schaeffer and Amsoil users, with a more technical/cerebral approach.

Why are they mass marketing with the "think with your dipstick" ads? They aren't going to get the general public to pay 3X the price of Penzoil YB.

I have nothing against Castrol for the price of the oil they are selling you can buy a boutique brand.

[censored], I can even get name brand synthetics for the cost of the dino GTX around here.

Originally Posted By: kevinf
The problem is the price point and the positioning. The oil offers a solution for a problem/need that doesn't exist. At that price they should to be going after Schaeffer and Amsoil users, with a more technical/cerebral approach.

Why are they mass marketing with the "think with your dipstick" ads? They aren't going to get the general public to pay 3X the price of Penzoil YB.

Yeah i agree. Their adds were so lame. lol. Maybe it was put together by the U.K.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I have nothing against Castrol for the price of the oil they are selling you can buy a boutique brand.

[censored], I can even get name brand synthetics for the cost of the dino GTX around here.

Edge may be better than many boutique brands. Very few boutique brands are superior or even as good as premium oils from the major oil companies.

Too expensive to try, for me. I would buy and try PP, before I buy this. Plus, I am not a big fan of extended OC.

I have switched to Edge from M1 for my Corvette, due to my high lead readings in my UOA the past 3 years. Price difference is little to pay if it wears 8X's better.

I continue to use M1 in all my other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
So far so good. No changes from when I used Redline 5w20.

Just curious how you can tell this w/o hard evidence to back it up. Redline would surely be the superior oil here and at the cost of Edge - might as well go Redline.

I just have a hard time taking Castrol seriously. Their marketing is just brutal. Sludge photo's and other stupid gimmicks. Their oils never were that good here in the U.S. Syntec is a very below average synthetic.

Doesn't even meet GM 4718M. Had to make Edge for that.

IF Edge EVER goes on sale for $2.00 a quart, I might consider it. When it is more expensive than Mobil 1, NEVER. I have a hard time believing Castrol has a superior product.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
So far so good. No changes from when I used Redline 5w20.

Just curious how you can tell this w/o hard evidence to back it up. Redline would surely be the superior oil here and at the cost of Edge - might as well go Redline.

No changes as in power, smoothness, ect. . .
Redline was getting to pricy at 9 bucks a qt.

We can not call any oil "superior" compared to the other. As that is subjective and objective. Yes, I do agree if you were looking for a high end pricy oil, Redline is the way to go.

As we know, oils like Redline are great perfomers with heat and pressure. But my driving has been cut a lot. I often do not get the coolant up to temp, let alone the oil. So since my main issue now is fuel and water dilution, I wanted to go back to PP. Right when I was planning to do my oil change, Edge came out. So me used to paying 9+tax a qt, did not mind buying Edge to try.

As I said, so far so good. No changes in sounds, feeling, smoothness. No sudden oil leaks or consumption. I am sure its a good oil. Next OCI, I very well may go back to GC or PP. . . .

I agree it's a bit pricey, but how could it be priced around yellow bottle? With a TBN of 11.5 the base was not that cheap!

I was hoping Mr. Hillary would chime in, awhile back he referenced an older "cousin" of GC that sounded promising. I believe it was in a Fuchs Titan 0w20 thread...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Taylor
I agree it's a bit pricey, but how could it be priced around yellow bottle? With a TBN of 11.5 the base was not that cheap!

I was hoping Mr. Hillary would chime in, awhile back he referenced an older "cousin" of GC that sounded promising. I believe it was in a Fuchs Titan 0w20 thread...
They could have saved money by not running all those stupid ads and priced the oil at a lower point.

The price is too high, especially when its sitting on the shelf next to Mobil 1 EP, Synpower, or PP. For a few $$ more you could use Amsoil or Redline Oil to name a few. JMO

There's a lot of talk in this thread about Redline being THE boutique of choice if you're going to spend the bucks. But I thought Redline was primarily a track oil - and that the street driving UOAs are nothing to write home about. (?)

Meanwhile, the Edge end-cap display at the local Wally's always seems in perfect order. Like it hasn't been touched since it was set up. Every time I see it I wonder "is any one even looking at this stuff". Doesn't seem to be a jug missing.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I have switched to Edge from M1 for my Corvette, due to my high lead readings in my UOA the past 3 years. Price difference is little to pay if it wears 8X's better.

I continue to use M1 in all my other vehicles.

Corvette Owner - did you ever try EP in that Corvette ?

They had it at my walmart for awhile when it first came out. I think they sold a grand total of two jugs at full price ($34) before it found a new home on the clearance aisle. Its been slowly dropping. First it dropped to $32, then $30, now its $28. I don't think much has sold.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
There's a lot of talk in this thread about Redline being THE boutique of choice if you're going to spend the bucks. But I thought Redline was primarily a track oil - and that the street driving UOAs are nothing to write home about. (?)

They look pretty good to me, disregarding the last interval which had to deal with a massive coolant leak. Doing pretty well against two of the best HDEOs on the market in street driving.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1228044#Post1228044

Good old Delo 400 LE is holding its own though.
grin2.gif

Hi,
Taylor - Castrol's Edge range has a very good reputation
I have just returned here from Germany and Castrol's lubricants there are very popular amongst the racing fraternity. Many Audi, Porsche, Clio, Corvette privateers and some fleet racers do amongst others

The Castrol Syntec RS range in 0W-40, a 5W-40 variant and 10W-60 viscosities are popularly used. Recently (two weekends back) at the Nurburgring, Castrol was the only Oil Company with Service representation on site!

Castrol has always produced great engine and drivetrain lubricants. Their expertise in synthetics - especially Group 5 - extends back 70 years or so

As with any product, you largely get what you pay for!!

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
They had it at my walmart for awhile when it first came out. I think they sold a grand total of two jugs at full price ($34) before it found a new home on the clearance aisle. Its been slowly dropping. First it dropped to $32, then $30, now its $28. I don't think much has sold.

Ever since Edge came out I could only find it on the Clearance isle.. no joke.

Also, I saw some other Castrol oil that was selling for around $26. Why buy that when they have M1 for 22 and PP for even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back