Castrol Edge -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq

Quote:
Watch out for other Castrol Edge viscosity grades coming in the future.

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/why-upgrade/results

Anyone running Edge? Curious to see how it holds up.

I am running it. Waiting to send it out for UOA. I just have not been driving nearly as much.

I am trying to put 7000 miles on this first run. I am only at 2000!!!!

So far so good. No changes from when I used Redline 5w20.

Quote:

Yeah, watch them rebadge GC and charge a higher price for it.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I am running it. Waiting to send it out for UOA. I just have not been driving nearly as much.

drive man drive!!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

drive man drive!!
LOL.gif

Im trying!!!

Edge is just not positioned right imo. They blew it with that price pt. They should've gone for market share using competitive pricing against M1 EP. It seems to be apples to apples with EP, only much more expensive.

It's probably 4x better eric LOL. Seriously though this oil looks like a performer. TBN of 11.5 VOA is serious! I don't know what the depletion or TAN build up rate curves look like yet, but based on the Edge additive signature it looks like it could give amsoil traditional formulas (ASL, ATM) and redline a run for their money on extended drain performance. Time and history will tell all with this newbie, but it's looking quite promising from the cheap seats.

Handy thing to know and tell -

On it's web site, Castrol now has two categories of comparison versus M1

They compare Edge to reg. M1 5w30 - and claim 8x better performance on SeqIV.

Then they compare to M1 EP - and make no claims of better performance. They just say Edge is "unsurpassed" by EP. They then state that Edge has met more OEM specs than EP - "including Ford WSS-M2C929-A, GM4718M, and GM6094M".

If Edge comes out with a xxw20 then I would at least consider them for my next OCI (I'm pushing for the 1yr, 12-14k mark). But right now M1 has the edge for my Mazda.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Edge is just not positioned right imo. They blew it with that price pt. They should've gone for market share using competitive pricing against M1 EP. It seems to be apples to apples with EP, only much more expensive.
I agree. You don't price your product higher than your competitor who has more market share.

Well, they're playing dumb, thinking the average buyer will not catch on. They claim Edge is 8x better. Even though it's only 8x better than m1 5w-30, they're hoping most people will extrapolate that it's also better than all other m1 products, and hence will see it as justification to the higher price.

Not saying this is right, but just trying to figure out their train of thought.

I say this is their strategy - they've made the 8x claim vs. M1. And they're way more expensive - which is a known marketing technique for claiming quality - "if it's more expensive, it must be the good stuff".

IMO they're attempting a shortcut path to becoming the 900 gorilla of oils in public perception. And that's their problem - it's a shortcut.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Edge is just not positioned right imo. They blew it with that price pt. They should've gone for market share using competitive pricing against M1 EP.

Of all the EDGE claims made, the only thing conclusive is that Castrol's exectutives are on 8X more dope than anyone else.

Even if this turns out to be the best oil ever put in a bottle it was a terribly blundered launch. Apparently Walmart and Target have sold about the same amount of EDGE, and Target doesn't even carry it.
Huge rebates, BOGO whatever gets people trying it, is what was needed. Didn't Pennzoil Platinum handle things 10X better at launch?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

Yeah, watch them rebadge GC and charge a higher price for it.

+ 1 ^^^^^ so stock up now!!

Originally Posted By: Taylor
LOL, and which test are yougoig by for your claims? Urine exam?

Yes, it's a new type of UOA. Lol.

Castrol is trying to market Edge as a higher performance product than M1 EP. They seem to have priced it a bit too high for WM. It probably will do OK at specialty stores priced against quarts of M1EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back