Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Castrol SLX OE 5w-30 is PAO base oil as per Castrol australia reply to my email.

Yes, but how much PAO? I doubt it is 100% PAO/Ester base stock.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: toyota62
That's true.But who would say the exact percentages of the base oils.All say 100%synthetic,Fully synthetic....

By the new definitons of synthetic, a company can call a 100% Group III oil to be "100% synthetic" or "fully synthetic," etc.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

By the new definitons of synthetic, a company can call a 100% Group III oil to be "100% synthetic" or "fully synthetic," etc.

Can you provide a "link" or reference to the new definitions. I am anxious to read/understand them.

It's all a marketing decision - no rules or regulations. ConocoPhillips now even defines regular Group II as "synthetic" now.

Quote: "Formulated with a unique, proprietary additive in a blend of high-quality synthetic Group II base stocks"

Originally Posted By: OilGuy
It's all a marketing decision - no rules or regulations. ConocoPhillips now even defines regular Group II as "synthetic" now.

Quote: "Formulated with a unique, proprietary additive in a blend of high-quality synthetic Group II base stocks"

frown.gif

Got a URL for that?

Originally Posted By: OilGuy

My guess is that is a typo.

"I wouldn't run that swill for ten grand and then test it.. Motorcraft, yes. Castrol Edge?"

I'd better tell all the BMW dealerships who have just changed from M1 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40 they have made a grave mistake

Originally Posted By: sprintman
"I wouldn't run that swill for ten grand and then test it.. Motorcraft, yes. Castrol Edge?"

I'd better tell all the BMW dealerships who have just changed from M1 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40 they have made a grave mistake

I think the Castrol Edge offered in the US as a 5W-30 and 10W-30 are very good products. But they are in no way the same as offered in Europe/Asia in the 0W-30 and 0W-40 weights...

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Are you saying no Edge 0W40 in the U.S?

Not yet. So far only 5W-30 and 10W-30. Their website seems to imply that other viscosities are coming. I would suspect 5W-20 would be one of them, but that is only a guess.

I am getting ready to use it now I bought 4 qt's from pep Boys and used the $10 off coupon that was posted on this site along with the free qt. Castrol sent me. Wor4s out to $4.00 a qt. Not the best price but better than i have found anyplace else.

Originally Posted By: CincyBob
The wind continues to blow - clockwise, going nowhere here.
Please, someone, after they drive 10K, have some Edge oil tested and post here.
55.gif

Rest in peace CincyBob, you were a really good guy.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back