Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 for Track/Circuit Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I will be running my car on a circuit (not competitive, just for fun) and wondering what oil to use.
Engine is a 6A12 MIVEC from a Mitsubishi FTO.
Full rebuilt + some bolt on parts.

Originally I wanted to run Shell Helix Ultra 5W40(SL) on it however a local store has a really good deal on Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 (SN).

I would prefer to run the better of the two oils regardless of cost.
Would the Shell be any better/worse than the Castrol?

Both are excellent oils but the Castrol you are looking at is much thinner than the Shell. For track use I would use the Shell personally.

Castrol 0w40, M1 0w40 or Rotella T6 area also all available cheap at Walmart and would be good further options IMO.

I'd use none of the 2 for track use. Nothing but 15w50. Specially after 30 or more good sequential wot redlines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
I'd use none of the 2 for track use. Nothing but 15w50. Specially after 30 or more good sequential wot redlines.

This or maybe Castrol 5W50 (since you mentioned Castrol op).

Not sure I'd want to put 50wt oil in a high-revving engine with VVT that is spec'd for a 30wt when there are plenty of race-ready 30wt oils out there. What sort of oil pressure would you be getting with 15w50 at 7500rpm? What effect would this have on the function of the cam phasers? What sort of extra heat is going to be generated? You can't treat every engine like an old smallblock v8

Last edited:
Castrol supply Mitsubishi oil down here, and Castrol recommend 5W-30 Edge for the Evo, which is the same as the Mitsi oil. It would be just fine in the 6A12.

Yes 5W30 is what the owner manual states to use.

Would I be better off running the 5W40?
That was my initial plan but as mentioned the Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 is now on special at almost half the price of the Shell and wondering whether I should stock up or not.

As mentioned I will buy the better oil but if they are identical I'll go the cheaper oil

The question is how hot will it be when you are running on track, and how good of a driver are you? And of these two, the driving skill question is the bigger factor. A better driver will create higher engine temps because they are on the gas more often and harder, and in my experience this is a greater factor than how hot it is when you are on track.

I've never been on a track before so the car will not be pushed (at least until I get better).

I will also not be taking it to the track during warmer months, and I will get an oil temp gauge so if it starts heating up I will slow down and then get an oil cooler if needed

Austalian Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 is SL rated and or course HTHS is > 3.5
I would have no problem using this in that engine. Keep an eye on your oil temps

Originally Posted By: supercity
I would have no problem using this in that engine. Keep an eye on your oil temps

Yeah, I'm with SuperCity.

Both the SHU 5W40 and Edge 5W30 A3/B4 are good oils.

The Castrol Edge 5W30 we get in Australia is the Euro spec oil and a lot more stout than the ILSAC GF-5 Edge 5W30 that is more commonly spoken about on these forums and more typically used in North America.

Quote:
Australian Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5)
Note Castrols says: "Passes all engine test performance requirements for API SN and SM but exceeds Phosphorus limits for those classifications." So this is a high ZDDP oil.
Vis 40C = 71.8
Vis 100C = 12.0
Pour Point = -36C
TBN = 10.2
HTHS = 3.6 cP

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: supercity

Yeah, I'm with SuperCity.

Both the SHU 5W40 and Edge 5W30 A3/B4 are good oils.

The Castrol Edge 5W30 we get in Australia is the Euro spec oil and a lot more stout than the ILSAC GF-5 Edge 5W30 that is more commonly spoken about on these forums and more typically used in North America.

Quote:
Australian Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5)
Note Castrols says: "Passes all engine test performance requirements for API SN and SM but exceeds Phosphorus limits for those classifications." So this is a high ZDDP oil.
Vis 40C = 71.8
Vis 100C = 12.0
Pour Point = -36C
TBN = 10.2
HTHS = 3.6 cP

That's a good looking oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Both are excellent oils but the Castrol you are looking at is much thinner than the Shell. For track use I would use the Shell personally.

Castrol 0w40, M1 0w40 or Rotella T6 area also all available cheap at Walmart and would be good further options IMO.

Wrong. C Edge here is almost a 40. HTHS is almost identical between the two. I'd go the Edge at that price. In fact I did buy that $49.99 10L jug the other day
grin.gif

You're probably not going to be that hard on the oil for at least a couple of sessions. If you have an oil temp gauge, I'd start moving to the next higher viscosity if it tops about 260 F. or 127 C., or if your idle oil pressure drops down to near the single digits in PSI.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back