Castrol Edge "OE Professional" 5w-40 - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by Napa for ____s & giggles, even though I need oil and auto care stuff like I need a hole in the head.

I usually half-rudely brush off all the aggressive sales folks who attack me when I walk through the door, but this time I let them find me some Castrol 5w-40 on sale (sales advert showed the black-bottle Castrol Syntec 5w-40 on sale). I'm glad I did, because he went back and brought me a case of something I've never seen before --> Castrol "OE Professional" Edge 5w-40 in the gold bottle. I thought for sure this stuff would be priced higher than the black-bottle stuff, but much to my surprise it was the same $5.79 a quart.

I grabbed six and now I have this stuff, but I don't really know much about it or what it really is. Anyone have some information, PDS, experience, etc. with this stuff? It mentions something about being fluorescent, I wonder if it's green like the old GC. Maybe it even smells like gummy bears. I haven't opened one yet to find out.

This stuff looks ideal for my '09 Caliber which calls for 0w-40 Mobil1.

Here's some shots of the bottle:

20130104102006.jpg

20130104101957.jpg

What say you?

looks like castrol for dealerships that use it as FF/recommended oil.

I found the PDS for everything except 5w40 though.

Last edited:
The 5w-40 OE Professional is included in this PDS:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...S_July_2012.pdf

Quote:
This stuff looks ideal for my '09 Caliber which calls for 0w-40 Mobil1.

Technically, M1 0w-40 is a better oil because it also meets MB 229.5 spec which is more stringent. But for your Caliber it may not make any difference.

FYI, Napa now also carries Castrol 0w-40 which does meet MB 229.5, but it may be a special order.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
With all the buzzwords, its gotta be good.

crackmeup2.gif

When you come right down to it, that's been my problem with Castrol synthetic oils right from the start. Not the products themselves, but the ridiculous advertizing and flinging buzzwords faster than monkeys fling... you know what.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

crackmeup2.gif

When you come right down to it, that's been my problem with Castrol synthetic oils right from the start. Not the products themselves, but the ridiculous advertizing and flinging buzzwords faster than monkeys fling... you know what.

If that's what they have to do to sell the product to those not as well educated about automotive lubrication as BITOG members, I'm not going to hold it against them. If. Car company pushes the number of cup holders in a vehicle (which I don't care so much about, but my wife might) and the car meets all of my needs, I'm not going to hold it against them.

Castrol's synthetic oils are what pioneered today's oil marketing (probably better termed "misrepresentation") as we know it. But still, I don't see anything on this bottle (or their others) that is any more misleading than any other product's claims.

"Professional" and "OE" are subjective, and at least half truth, because after all this stuff is aimed toward dealers and is not readily available to the general public. I bet greater than 95% of consumers do not have access to this product, or are unable to find it.

So it's not as though Castrol's intention is "cool, lets put the words "professional" and "OE" on the bottle, and people will come in droves to buy it"; they're not even making an effort to put it out in the spotlight where those words will get people's attention.

What is clear though, is that this is not the same stuff as the golden "Edge" bottle destined toward the US market. No mention of titanium additive exists, and the product does not have the same "solvent" type smell that the rest of the "edge" line has. It actually smells more like what I'd expect a conventional dino to smell like.. Though it's not like you can extrapolate anything meaningful from smell anyways, but it's a valid observation.

I've never seen that in gold bottle. I really like Castrol but black bottle edge 5w40 doesn't impress me, seems to shear too much, but what you have there is the upgraded FST with Titanium, should be great stuff. That line is the best oil Castrol makes, and even their lower end stuff is very, very good IMO.

The other black bottle Edge formula's have a lower VI than the 5w40 Edge black bottle, and they seem much more shear resistant.

Use Castrol SLX Professional LL03 and you will be using the VW/Audi secret formulation for their late model diesels. Imported and in liter bottles for the ultimate in oil prestige!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Technically, M1 0w-40 is a better oil because it also meets MB 229.5 spec which is more stringent. But for your Caliber it may not make any difference.

FYI, Napa now also carries Castrol 0w-40 which does meet MB 229.5, but it may be a special order.

It is hard to find a better 40 weight than M1 0W40, especially when it's on sale for around $5/qt, which is very often from a auto parts chain or another.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

crackmeup2.gif

If that's what they have to do to sell the product to those not as well educated about automotive lubrication as BITOG members, I'm not going to hold it against them. If. Car company pushes the number of cup holders in a vehicle (which I don't care so much about, but my wife might) and the car meets all of my needs, I'm not going to hold it against them.

If their synthetic products a) actually outsold M1 or SOPUS, or b) objectively outperformed M1 or SOPUS, then I'd be more willing to overlook the foolishness. As it is, they've become 3rd (or 4th or 5th) string in both objective measure and sales since the days with Castrol GTX was one of the best conventional oils out there.

I agree totally to the last comment. When conventional oil was just about the only thing out there on the market, I almost exclusively used Castrol GTX. Now I don't buy much of anything from Castrol (particularly oil) and just use Pennzoil Ultra oil. They had some ridiculous advertising not too long ago on TV with engines running until the died but if I recall correctly, all the competitor's oils were conventional, not synthetic as theirs was.

I might do one of there's none out in the wild... Any interest, or have people all but shunned Castrol products?

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I might do one of there's none out in the wild... Any interest, or have people all but shunned Castrol products?

We are sponges for voa here. It would be nice to add to the database. I thank you in advance for your effort and expense.

Interestingly enough, the PDS for "European OE Professional" 5w-40 and Syntec Edge 5w-40 (black bottle) are the exact same.

There is only one value which is different, and that is SuS viscosity @ 210F, which is about 4 degrees difference. The other attributes are the same right down to the product weight.

So alas, it appears I have the same thing that's been around for a very long time and not something special like I was hoping. That said, I probably won't run a VOA, but instead will do a UOA after the OCI, whose additives should give us a good indication if this is the same stuff that's been on the shelf for ages.

I know at one time it used to be Belgian Castrol, but this is the US version, just like the stuff in the black bottle transitioned to.

Either way, I've always felt the 5w-40 black bottle was a decent oil, I'd used it in VW's before and had good luck, though I never ran a UOA for confirmatoin. I think it will perform nicely in the Caliber, as good as M1 or any other off-the-shelf product in my opinion.

Someone on Audizine reported that his dealer put Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w40 in his S4 -- and it was indeed bright green. The bottle was gold in color as OP posted.

A curious thing since Audi dealers have often used Castrol SLX Professional. My old dealer was using the off-the-shelf Castrol Edge 5w40. I know some VW dealers have switched to this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back