Castrol EDGE LL03, 10K oil on 13 A3 with 25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last month I did the third oil change on my 2013 (last gen) Audi A3 TDI. I have followed the Audi service recommendations changing the oil at 5K, 15K and 25K. I always have used the dealer recommended Castrol EDGE Professional LL03 VW 507.00 certified oil that I purchased from the dealer.

I figured at 25K that most of the engine break in was done and this would be as good a time as any to check out the oil and see if the VW recommended 10K OCI's are in any way shape or form reasonable. I hoped that it was because this oil is expensive at about $5 per L.

Anyways, these results are satisfactory enough to keep on with the 10K OCI, though I'll probably test again at 45K if not 35K.

I figured you guys might be interested so here you go.

13%2BA3-091714_01.gif

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Looks good. Do you use ultra low sulfur fuel or the normal one?

All OTR diesel in the USA is ultra low sulfur.

Thanks, I was still under the impression that there were two types of fuel, a quick search and I found a neat map.
S-MapDiesel1013.jpg

Since now there is the same fuel quality as in Europe, does Audi USA recommends 18,000 miles intervals for highway and main road driving and 10,000 for city driving? or just 10K servicing no matter what.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Since now there is the same fuel quality as in Europe, does Audi USA recommends 18,000 miles intervals for highway and main road driving and 10,000 for city driving? or just 10K servicing no matter what.

VW says 10K no matter what (5K for the first oil change on the Audi only) but the U.S. most definitely does not have the same fuel quality in Europe. Our minimum Cetane number is 40 and theirs is 51 and our fuels have a lower lubricity requirement as well. Lower cetane means less power and worse economy and lower lubricity means increased wear on fuel systems.

There is speculation that the relatively high incidence of grenaded High Pressure Fuel Pumps in VW TDI engines is due to the pumps being designed for European spec diesel and the U.S. diesel is not as good and much more inconsistent. I read up on this issue when I first got the car and decided to add in Diesel Fuel Additive in every tank (since my second fill up). I used to use Power Service (grey bottle) because it's easily available but have since switched to Stanadyne. I figure it's cheap insurance since I plan on keeping the car for a long time. A blown HPFP out of warranty is apparently a ~$3000 repair job because you have to replace most of the fuel system including the injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back