Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 0W-20 meets MB 229.71 (6/9/2020)

Castrol now lists the MB 229.71 approval for this oil on their website.

Is this the cheapest, most easily acquired 0w20 available with a high level European approval? I am looking for comparable oils that also have common API and ILSAC approvals.
MB Bevo shows approval for the UK version. Castrol is notorious for having different data sheets for different markets, and sometimes the specs are different. So, it is possible that the UK formula is different than the US formula.

MB Bevo shows approval for the UK version. Castrol is notorious for having different data sheets for different markets, and sometimes the specs are different. So, it is possible that the UK formula is different than the US formula.

It's on the U.S. website too.

1610136152233.png

Last edited:
As long as it's met.
If that was the goal, then it makes more sense to use a generic house brand instead of paying the premium for Castrol.

It's on the U.S. website too.

View attachment 39691
I still want to see a PDS with that spec listed on it.

If that was the goal, then it makes more sense to use a generic house brand instead of paying the premium for Castrol.

I still want to see a PDS with that spec listed on it.
Nothing wrong with that either.

The approval is on Mercs approval list and on the jugs. The PDS for this oil is from 2015 which is terribly out of date for such a giant.

Not at all.
At the end of the day these companies are about making money. With the exception of boutique oil, If they can create a product that meets/exceeds the goal with “cheap products”, why would they spend extra when they don’t need to for no benefit if it meets the desired specs?

At the end of the day these companies are about making money. With the exception of boutique oil, If they can create a product that meets/exceeds the goal with “cheap products”, why would they spend extra when they don’t need to for no benefit if it meets the desired specs?
And what makes it difficult to compare is that many of the boutique oils don't carry approvals or licenses.

Not true. Mobil1 offers 0W20 EP which has much stronger pack and better performance numbers. Mobil1 is hardly boutique oil. I am not referring to boutique oils at all. Castrol is king of HC oils since they became part of BP. They have few top notch products thaey keep bcs. competition, but wherever they can get away with things, they do. I use their products. I will put in next few weeks their 0W30 in BMW (which I use on and off regularly since 2007, or 0W40. But, other then that, they are making sure they just muddle through.

Not true. Mobil1 offers 0W20 EP which has much stronger pack and better performance numbers. Mobil1 is hardly boutique oil. I am not referring to boutique oils at all. Castrol is king of HC oils since they became part of BP. They have few top notch products thaey keep bcs. competition, but wherever they can get away with things, they do. I use their products. I will put in next few weeks their 0W30 in BMW (which I use on and off regularly since 2007, or 0W40. But, other then that, they are making sure they just muddle through.
You don’t think ExxonMobil is in business to make money?

Are you basing an oil’s performance and additive package solely off of UOAs and VOAs, PDSs? How do you know it has a stronger additive package when OAs only tell you part of the formulation. What are “performance” numbers? I also think it needs to be clarified if by “cheaper product”, you mean cheaper as in cost or cheaper as in quality.

Just curious what data and information you have that one can base these statements as fact instead of an opinion.

Last edited:
You don’t think ExxonMobil is in business to make money?

Are you basing an oil’s performance and additive package solely off of UOAs and VOAs, PDSs? How do you know it has a stronger additive package when OAs only tell you part of the formulation. What are “performance” numbers? I also think it needs to be clarified if by “cheaper product”, you mean cheaper as in cost or cheaper as in quality.

Just curious what data and information you have that one can base these statements as fact instead of an opinion.
Of course they are in business of making money, do not twist my words. Where did I say that?
Pour point of M1 0W20EP is -54. That means dramatically more PAO base stocks (per M1 60-70%) in combination with GTL and HC.
That means more shear stability and thermal stability.
Data and information I have is easily available on internet, so research.

Of course they are in business of making money, do not twist my words. Where did I say that?
Pour point of M1 0W20EP is -54. That means dramatically more PAO base stocks (per M1 60-70%) in combination with GTL and HC.
That means more shear stability and thermal stability.
Data and information I have is easily available on internet, so research.

FWIW the reason why I am looking at Castrol is because I had oil consumption issues that began when I started using M1 0w20 EP and only got worse with time and never improved with any M1 0w20 that I used.

I do wonder if the European approvals like MB 229.71 or VW 508 count for anything as far as oil consumption resistance or other tangible benefit compared to oils without said approvals?

PAO are actually meaningless for both, shear stability and thermal stability. No real connex unless competition makes use of Grp. II and butter instead, which is not happening.

Back