Castrol Edge Extended Drain Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

This is my first post. I wanted to see what you oil enthusiasts thought about my plan.

I am planning on running Castrol Edge in my wifes Kia
Sorrento and trying the extended drain interval. It says its good for 15K miles under normal driving conditions, which we fall under. Not alot of stop and go driving, no pulling trailers, hard accelerating, ect. We use it like a mini van really.

I am using the Amsoil EA filter because its the only filter I could find rated for over 15K miles. I ordered a kit from Blackstone and planned on sending a sample at 7500 miles to see if they say it can go another 7500. Am I correct in asuming that I only have to pull the sample once, and from then on we know how many miles we can run on that engine, oil, filter combo? Is this not a good idea at all?

I am also planning on trying it in my work truck, which does pull a trailer daily. Its get used pretty hard, so I was going to pull a sample at 3000 miles when I would normally change the oil, to see where it stands and decide on an interval there, but buying the more expensive oil I was hoping for at least 6-9K miles.

What do you think, am I doing the right thing here? or am I asking for trouble?

welcome2.gif

I will let someone else answer your question as I'm on my way out...

Will comment later.

The Castrol EDGE should be sufficient for at least 10,000 miles, but depending on sump capacity and type of driving it may vary a little beyond that. I think the 7500mi check is a good idea, and definitely watch for oil consumption every 3k.

I would also consider changing it annually if you don't put a full 15000 miles on it yearly.

Maybe start out with a 12k mile interval. For your truck, sampling @ 3k is much too soon. At least go to 8,000 with it. Edge hasn't really been that popular so we haven't seen any high mileage UOA's. It may be a great oil.

Originally Posted By: LushGreenLawn
I ordered a kit from Blackstone and planned on sending a sample at 7500 miles to see if they say it can go another 7500. Am I correct in asuming that I only have to pull the sample once, and from then on we know how many miles we can run on that engine, oil, filter combo? Is this not a good idea at all?

I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. Most likely Blackstone will not tell you with great precision how much longer you can run it. They'll just tell you whether it needs to be dumped or whether you can keep going. But looking at the TBN you could at least make out if you can go a lot longer or just a little longer. Not exact science though.

I'd probably wait until 10k, and then sample. Or if you don't mind two test, do one sample at 7.5k and another at 10k.

Today I sent an Edge sample in to Blackstone I ran 10,177 miles in my 2.4 Toyota Camry. I also requested a TBN test. Will post when I get it.

A 10,000 mile run for you might be a good start also.

As far as your truck, I would go at least 5-6,000 miles and then send one in.

**Are your vehicles out of warranty yet?

Last edited:
You'll only make 15k if you leave BITOG and don't come back. You'll learn things here to worry about that the Edge engineers simply overlooked.

OK

I put the castrol in my chevy today. It is a 2000 model year, with close to 160K on it. The engine always sounded a little noisy, not like something was wrong, but like, well, old.

Oddly enough, I immediatly noticed a difference in how the truck sounds now. It sounds pretty quiet, almost like a new car.

I had put it in my wifes KIA about a month ago. I did not notice a difference, but her car is a 2004, and has always ran pretty quiet anyway.

So far so good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back