Castrol Edge EURO CAR 5W-30 C3

Picked up the last 5qt jug of this on sale today ~$35 (marked down from $84 at Canadian Tire) and wonder if I can run this in a 90's domestic or 90's Japanese import. All the praise for Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro on here had me thinking why not try a euro formula before I did adequate research and tore up the receipt for this oil. What exactly does C3 signify?
Not concerned if it's "too much oil for old cars", just curious if it would be harmful to them in any way.
Thx:)

(y) Run it!
It's mid-SAPS, but don't let anyone tell you that it will not be good. The Euro approvals it carries are more stringent/better than what the US and Japanese car manufacturers requested.
Thanks man, that's good to hear. Do you know exactly what C3 signifies? I've searched online and there really isn't a clear definition. Seems like it's emissions related?

Last edited:

ACEA C3 is a grouping of Euro Car builder standards whereby the HTHS remains high (~3.5), but the SAPS content is reduced.

Better for emissions and newer engine technologies than ACEA A3/B4, generally.

Also has diesel applications, but suitable for gasoline engines as well.

ACEA C3 is a grouping of Euro Car builder standards whereby the HTHS remains high (~3.5), but the SAPS content is reduced.

Better for emissions and newer engine technologies than ACEA A3/B4, generally.

Also has diesel applications, but suitable for gasoline engines as well.
So if I were to run this through a foxbody 5.0 motor it would be fine? Full bolt-on car with with full O/R exhaust headers back but otherwise stock internally it won't cause any issues?

Post a picture of the front and back labels
One can learn more by looking it up. However, in the name of educating:
ACEA Oil Sequences @ Oil Specifications .org

c3-1.jpg

c3-2.jpg

c3-3.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one!
I've run it in my Mercedes since the third oil change. Which = about 140k miles. No oil usage in 7500 mile OCIs.

Edit: Forgot. It was shipped to the USA with Fuchs oil in it. The first two changes at 1200 Miles and 10k miles were Fuchs. I could only get Castrol Turbo Diesel for a few years, but when C3 came along @ better prices, I switched and stuck to it.

API SN
SNCurrentFor 2020 and older automotive engines

https://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-i...-lubricants/dexos1-gen2-what-you-need-to-know
Dexos1™ Gen 2 Taking it to the next level
Dexos1™ Gen 2 has all the benefits listed above, plus improved oxidation and deposit control. In addition, this new generation protects engines against a severely damaging phenomenon known as low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). LSPI affects smaller turbocharged engines that are prone to deposits and pre-ignition problems. Although most vehicles are approved to use Gen 1, the new Gen 2 edition offers more advanced engine protection capabilities not found in Gen 1 oils.

C3 isn't a Dexos1 fluid. C3 is a Dexos2 fluid. Being SN, the threadstarter should have no problem running it in his older domestic or import vehicle requiring SN or older API spec. I myself would have no problem running it in a 'newer' vehicle. I care for MOFT/HTHS and don't care about the bottle's label SAE grade to get there.

Back