Castrol Edge EP vs M1 EP vs Valvoline ME

Well I have good results running regular Valvoline advanced synthetic for 12k miles so I'm sure ME can keep up. The others you mentioned are rated for longer intervals.

I´ve run M1 EP and VME with good results for both. I prefer M1 EP because of its PAO content because I like a low pour point and high flash point. I run M1EP in our Ecoboost for 10k OCIs and it has done well. I have peace of mind that it will hold up longer if schedules prevent a change right at 10k. I´m sure the VME would do it, too, but I have great confidence in the M1.

Probably the biggest reason is that I can get M1 at Wallyworld but can´t find VME anywhere except maybe online.

Many Valvoline oils have two to three times the amount of titanium in their add pack compared to Castrol products, it is just that Castrol chooses to base their advertising in large part around titanium content.

How much titanium is optimal?

I've had better luck with Valvoline over Mobil1, but I've only ever driven worn out, second-hand economy cars. If I had a brand new car, then I would run Mobil1 from day 1. No experience with Castrol, and no desire to fill up at a BP station or pay for Castrol since the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Many Valvoline oils have two to three times the amount of titanium in their add pack compared to Castrol products, it is just that Castrol chooses to base their advertising in large part around titanium content.
Not a huge fan of Valvoline and only use it when I have to. Is 3x "better" or is 1x good enough? All depends on the viewpoint and if there are data points to show the difference means something.

I could not tell you but the only brands that I have seen that tend to use a noticable amount compared to others are Valvoline, Royal Purple, and Castrol.

I guess that all depends on what a noticeable amount means?

There are other anti wear components besides titanium. Some of the oils mentioned use them along with titanium.

I wouldn’t judge the quality of a oil based on the amount of titanium or molybdenum or any other component. Go by the certifications and approvals it meets.

Not a huge fan of Valvoline and only use it when I have to. Is 3x "better" or is 1x good enough? All depends on the viewpoint and if there are data points to show the difference means something.

No worries, I just find it interesting how many times I have heard people favor Castrol because of its titanium content and I am of the opinion that it is a result of their advertising above all else.

I wouldn’t judge the quality of a oil based on the amount of titanium or molybdenum or any other component. Go by the certifications and approvals it meets.

I agree, I prefer to look into approvals when I am deciding my next purchase. I do hope the OP shares more details with us so we can better assist them in their decision.

No worries, I just find it interesting how many times I have heard people favor Castrol because of its titanium content and I am of the opinion that it is a result of their advertising above all else.

I agree, I prefer to look into approvals when I am deciding my next purchase. I do hope the OP shares more details with us so we can better assist them in their decision.

It's not an application. It's a question. People have certain oils they tend to favor and these tend to be the current favorites. I'm simply asking why that particular oil appeals to them. You can add PUP into that question too but it appears to have lost ground as of late primarily because of ease of purchase I'm guessing.

Well...titanium notwithstanding it is good oil. I used Mobil Super back in the day and it also had titanium and Castrol was in the Rubicon until the last OC when I switched to Kendall.

Castrol Edge EP vs M1 EP vs Valvoline ME, which do you prefer and why?

M1 EP. Used it for 10 years (128K Miles) doing 13K-17K OCI. Engine still runs fine. Would the other two have accomplished the same? May be, but I haven't experienced it myself. So that's my answer. Take it FWIW.

Back