Castrol Edge EP/0W-20, 6,011 Miles, 2018 Tacoma 2GR-FKS

Kind of stumped by this one. I do about 80-90% highway driving with the Taco (sometimes hard accelerations). Previous oils have been either Valvoline 0W-20 or M1 EP 0W-20. As some may know, its been unusually hot during this UOA period in FL, perhaps that's the cause? After this drain, I filled with CE EP 5W-30. Was looking for M1 5W-30 but this is all WM had in stock at the time. Usually these engines will be good with anything, again, stumped. Will report back with the 5W-30 fill. I feel this is better suited for FL climates (or perhaps even higher). Thanks.

Edit: The sample technique was a cold engine (ran for a few mins to get in the garage before changing oil) and about 2-3 mins after pulling the drain plug.

18 taco UOA.JPG

Last edited:
How recent is the air filter? what oil filter?

Nothing wrong with the UOA. For a Toyota, could be better. But, I wouldn't worry about it. I think that the 3.5 is just the wrong engine for the Tacoma and wished they kept the 4.0. Anyone surprised that the 4runner still gets the 4.0?

Hopefully the 30 grade will help a little.

I wonder what the penalty is for switching back and forth from atkinson to otto cycle.. pounding on the vvt system moving the cams all over the place constantly.

There's over 30k miles and 3.5 years between those two UOAs. I agree with the analyst that everything looks good and to establish trends before making too much out of it. If you didn't have the first UOA to compare it to, would that change how you feel about the current UOA?

There's over 30k miles and 3.5 years between those two UOAs. I agree with the analyst that everything looks good and to establish trends before making too much out of it. If you didn't have the first UOA to compare it to, would that change how you feel about the current UOA?
Fair enough. Should have built up more of a trend.

Back