Castrol Edge EP 0W-20, 5,000 miles, 2019 Lexus RX 350

Nothing remarkable to report about how the vehicle was used over this OCI other than this does get short tripped and the oil was cold when I did the change.

RX350.jpg

Castrol Edge,back in 2019 when I bought my VW. Tiguan was the VW oil.I thought it was a great oil.Only available at dealership.New cars use a bit,so you had to get a quart there.I use Polaris for my analysis. The numbers good.VW has now switched to Mobil,we'll see how it goes.

Don't put too much stock into their fuel values.

Wear coming down nicely; break-in subsiding.

I have two suggestions:
- lengthen your OCI out a bit
- ditch the TBN checks to save money
I'm sure I could go 7.5k to 10k miles on OCI and be just fine - the truth is I like changing the oil and it's the only thing besides rotating the tires that I actually do on my vehicles...lol. This car averages 10k miles a year and so twice I year I spend 20 mins under the car feeling like I'm doing something meaningful to protect my "depreciating investment." ;)

I'm sure I could go 7.5k to 10k miles on OCI and be just fine - the truth is I like changing the oil and it's the only thing besides rotating the tires that I actually do on my vehicles...lol. This car averages 10k miles a year and so twice I year I spend 20 mins under the car feeling like I'm doing something meaningful to protect my "depreciating investment." ;)
I understand; it's an emotional attachment to the vehicle. If it makes you happy every 5k miles, that's not the worst thing in the world that could happen.

At least quit getting TBN; it's a total waste of money in your situation.

Nice results. Castrol has good Tbn retention. I've noticed this over the years. Probably not that important, but something I have noticed. M1 will exceed Edge in oxidation resistance over time as proven on the IIIH test where M1 will show a viscosity increase of <5% on the IIIH test, 20x greater that the allowable limit.

Back