Castrol EDGE 5W30 EP vs. M1 5W30 EP ?

I know that M1 5W30 EP has Group 4 included in the makeup - what about the Castrol EDGE 5W30 EP ? What are the main differences between the two oils in composition ?

I know that M1 5W30 EP has Group 4 included in the makeup - what about the Castrol EDGE 5W30 EP ? What are the main differences between the two oils in composition ?
I was thinking the only M1 oils to have any pao were the 0W-20s, whereas the 5Ws and 10Ws were 100% groups 3s. Members, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would it matter as either will allow the engine to outlast you ownership of the vehicle barring and mechanical failure from sub standard parts.

I was thinking the only M1 oils to have any pao were the 0W-20s, whereas the 5Ws and 10Ws were 100% groups 3s. Members, correct me if I'm wrong.
1639063549139.jpg

Thank you for the M1 information ... Do we know if Castrol EDGE EP contains any PAO ?

Thank you for the M1 information ... Do we know if Castrol EDGE EP contains any PAO ?
Castrol doesn't tell you much about base oil composition. I assume mostly III with them. PAO is added in varying quantities to sometimes get desired performance, but some are using strictly III/III+/GTL.

I do think Edge EP is very good and likely on par with M1 EP.

I'm not entirely certain of legitimacy, however the common consensus associates Castrol with cheaper /lesser base fluid and increased sludge build up.
meh that's like saying Pennzoil creates sludge. Is there any current evidence of that? Oils meeting the latest specifications should not lead to any sludge at reasonable intervals.

I think Castrol does use Group III's, but there are about 18 components to a well formulated oil so how and where they spend the money elsewhere is what could make the difference....nor not.

This is why getting hung up on any one component has always been a bad idea.

I've personally never liked Castrol as a brand, but since 2012 they've made some very good oils. UOA's have shown greater viscosity control than other brands from my observation.

I've personally never liked Castrol as a brand, but since 2012 they've made some very good oils. UOA's have shown greater viscosity control than other brands from my observation.
Their Edge Euro 0W-40 certainly kicks butt. It's very good oil, still made in Belgium.

If all things are relatively equal between the two, I guess go with the price advantage. Right now Castrol Edge EP is $24.97 at Walmart, while Mobil 1 EP is $27.67

To be able to buy 5 quarts of Castro’s for $24.97 sounds like a bargain when considering most of the brand name synthetic oils at Walmart are around $22.00-$24.00 on their shelves.

Right now Castrol Edge EP is $24.97 at Walmart, while Mobil 1 EP is $27.67

Few days back, I briefly caught and bought M1 5w-30 EP online for $25.xx. It arrived with fresh production date. Its strange they only had sale on 5w-30 EP, 0w-20 EP and other EP grades are $29.xx. I think we will see all motor oil prices go up like m1 in the near future due to inflation and supply chain issues.

Few days back, I briefly caught and bought M1 5w-30 EP online for $25.xx. It arrived with fresh production date. Its strange they only had sale on 5w-30 EP, 0w-20 EP and other EP grades are $29.xx. I think we will see all motor oil prices go up like m1 in the near future due to inflation and supply chain issues.
Yeah, I don't see why they, or anyone else wouldn't jump on board with the supply chain/inflation train. I'm seeing barbers do it now. They say to me, hey why not us too? And they're right.

Back