Castrol Edge 5w30 A5/B5 - Influenced by Buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You've got quite the range of viscosities to choose from on that 1.6. I like that abt Hyundai/Kia..they don't hem you into one grade. You do 5/30 yr round?

Mad Hatter,

I just bought the vehicle so this would be the first oil change as owner. It has 26k miles on it.

I'm not sure what I will run in it long term. I do have several jugs of PP 10w30 in the garage as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I am a bit concerned at the potential of Castrol to have worse wear numbers as compared to Quaker State , Pennzoil or M1 .
Originally Posted by Trav
You left the best oil on the shelf IMO. Castrol only has one really good oil in the US market the 0w40, the rest are nothing special.

Why would the Castrol have worse wear numbers? All have similar add packs due to SN+ rating, and all are group III or higher base oils.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

Mad Hatter,

I just bought the vehicle so this would be the first oil change as owner. It has 26k miles on it.

I'm not sure what I will run in it long term. I do have several jugs of PP 10w30 in the garage as well.

ðŸ‘

That PP 10/30 is right in your wheel house. A great grp3+ lube and a readily available off the shelf. If you stock up whenever there's rebates... it's hard to beat price + performance wise.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree ^^^^^^^

It got doggone cold up your way last winter.... I'd do it that way too.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Yeah I agree ^^^^^^^

It got doggone cold up your way last winter.... I'd do it that way too.

2nd'd.. and it's nice that he can safely go up in viscosity if FD becomes an issue. And what I mean by "safely" is still be in compliance with his owners manual/warranty.

The OP's manual underscores a point many of us have made that you can safely go up a grade or two.

Based on the MSDS/PDS's and Gokhan's BOQI, Castrol appears to use Group III stocks for the EDGE line, other than the 0w40. The EDGE EP additive package looks good however:

Ti - approx. 20-40ppm
Boron - 310 boron
Moly - 64 ppm

Originally Posted by buster
Based on the MSDS/PDS's and Gokhan's BOQI, Castrol appears to use Group III stocks for the EDGE line, other than the 0w40. The EDGE EP additive package looks good however:

Ti - approx. 20-40ppm
Boron - 310 boron
Moly - 64 ppm

BUSTER: I am curious as to why EDGE EP isn't Dexos 1 Gen2

I'll do some research in the meantime

Thank You in advance
smile.gif

*I would want to double check wear numbers with Castrol EDGE . I know Castrol has upped their game but I believe historically SOPUS and possibly M1 oils have shown better wear numbers. All this could have changed with SN+ and D1/G2 specs.
I am a bit concerned at the potential of Castrol to have worse wear numbers as compared to Quaker State , Pennzoil or M1 .
You left the best oil on the shelf IMO. Castrol only has one really good oil in the US market the 0w40, the rest are nothing special.

Why would the Castrol have worse wear numbers? All have similar add packs due to SN+ rating, and all are group III or higher base oils.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Ti - approx. 20-40ppm
Boron - 310 boron
Moly - 64 ppm

Thank You in advance
smile.gif

Great question and I do not know. I would love to know the answer to that. I know it should be shortly I was told. Odd that the regular EDGE meets it but EP doesn't. Like Amsoil, it could be the SA level is too high, but I'm just guessing.

*I would want to double check wear numbers with Castrol EDGE . I know Castrol has upped their game but I believe historically SOPUS and possibly M1 oils have shown better wear numbers. All this could have changed with SN+ and D1/G2 specs.

It's really impossible to know how these oils truly compare. Most of what we do on here is guess based on limited information - UOA's, specifications met, data sheets & marketing materials.

I'm intrigued by EDGE, for the moment, but have no proof at all it's any better than the others.

Ti - approx. 20-40ppm
Boron - 310 boron
Moly - 64 ppm

Thank You in advance
smile.gif

Ditto.. good QðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Ti - approx. 20-40ppm
Boron - 310 boron
Moly - 64 ppm

Thank You in advance
smile.gif

Ditto.. good QðŸ‘

The latest SN Plus Edge Gold Bottle is also not A5/B5.

Oddly SN Plus Edge Black bottle is A5/B5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back