Castrol Edge 5W-30 Really is Better than Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since this is my first post I figger it might as well be a good one. Please feel free to flame me for lack of white paper to prove that statement. But hey, take your best shot. I just bought a New Silverado with the 5.3 and AFM and I don't know what factory fill was...you don't either if you didn't put it in there so I drained it and put my Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck and Suv in that I have been running problem free for several years since before the Extended Mileage stuff came around. Slightly off topic...those 5.3 AFM V-8 engines are super simple and they work great...I do have a 6 speed auto which I think makes it overall a better package than the old 4 speed...but that's another thread except the cold start tick at start up. You guys with the 6.2 Corvettes might give this a try too since this seems to be a common complaint. I did notice the Mobil 1 has GM6094M where as Castrol Edge has both Gm6094M AND GM4718M.

Ok...so my new truck has no cold start up tick with factory fill oil...I changed it at about 800 miles to the Mobil 1 truck and Suv with Mobil 1 filter and after say 3000 miles it would tick every time cold and later got to where it would tick sometimes even when already warm...LOUD but only for a second or 2. I saw a deal on the Castrol Edge at Wal Mart ($26 5 QT bottle) and figgered I had nothing to lose...stayed with the Mobil 1 filter just for grins as a test control factor. HERE WE GO>>> After about 800 miles on this oil no more tick cold at start up, none at warm start up and the valve train itself is a touch quieter overall now with about 4000 miles on this current oil. As far as I'm concerned it's a freakin miracle.

I do Extended drain intervals which is consistent with the OLM...I was so concerned about the Mobil oil I didn't wait. I'm glad I didn't. Isn't it just a touch coincidental that my issue was lifter tick using Mobile 1 and Castrol targeted the issue in their test to claim 8X better or whatever and then I start using it and the tick goes away? Kinda makes ya go hummmmmmm don't it?

If anyone is interested I have alot of Mobile 1 5W-30 Truck and Suv for sale. Between me and my wife I drive 80,000 miles a year on personal vehicles.

I realize I don't have a 5 year old spread sheet with oil analysis from Ruby Rock Labs (name change to protect the innocent) or whatever but my engine is a lot quieter, doesn't use any oil and no tick at start up now. Also it meets warranty requirements for all GM USA and has a rated service life beyond what the factory OLM will advise which is what I use for service intervals.

One other thing too...totally OT but I had seen several reports where Castrol GTX either was removed from the GM6094M or failed the test or some bull whooey. Saw that start in late 2007. As of June 2009 GTX DOES MEET GM6094M according to list put out by GM...(so does Edge...I also saw Mobile 1 but not Truck and Suv or EP) Truck and Suv states it does on the bottle...don't see it on the GM list though.

So your post boils down to "you had a valve tick with M1, you changed to edge and it's gone" and in your opinion that makes Edge better.

Ok. Better for you. Perhaps better for ticking problems. But better in every way sounds like a stretch based on just one small observation.

If you go into Silverado territory with the new 5.3 AFM motors there are all kinds of bogus *solutions* on how to *fix* it. Since this is a oil forum I won't go into all that except to say dumping 0W-60 oil in it to make the ticking go away could get you the same results I have for awhile but it's a real bad idea long term. It's not your grand dads truck or oil for that matter today. I have found a combination that meets factory recommendations that works in place of other combinations that didn't. So, yeah it works, it works for me, and it seems to do it rather well at this point.

Use what makes you happy, all the studies and proof in the world don't mean a thing as they are usually done against specific makes/engines. Every engine, even the same engine breed vary from one another, they have their own distinct traits and personalities.

Stick with what works, and Edge worked for you and remedied an issue you had.

I did think of that....I stayed with the Mobil 1 filter...I still believe they are very well made...It took about 800 miles or so after I changed before the ticking stopped...now at 4000 miles on this oil and purring like a kitten... If It was the filter I would have expected instant result anyways.

Hello and
welcome2.gif

FYI, the word you're looking for is 'figured'.

Valve ticking is annoying, but doesn't tell anything with respect to engine wear and longevity. But I agree, if I had annoying valve ticks, I'd want them to go away too and would stick with the product that did exactly that. Good job, Edge is a great product!

+1 Anies

There are a lot of complaints about lifter tick on start up with these AFM motors but they are good motors, just need the right oil. I had a 2007 Silverado NON-AFM that I ran the p*ss out of for 85,000 miles using Mobil 1 Truck and Suv with no issues at all...10,000 mile oil changes and never use any in between....maybe 1/4 qt sometimes...so I should say never had to add any.

Whatever difference there is the AFM 5.3 seems to prefer Edge.

webfors

In the case of the motor here in question I would agree....It has roller rockers and even roller lifters for that matter...probably run without any oil at all for quite awhile. But when your at the Sonic Drive In under the metal canopy and you start your $45K truck up and you see people snicker at you something has got to be done :) Especially when they see it's not a Ford.

hey callbay

It took 800-1000 miles before the ticking was *gone*...leave it in for awhile and give it a chance...Mine was so loud folks could hear it while I was on the phone....was bad. I start it now standing right in front of it and hear nothing.

I would definitely have tried it in my Avalanche with the 5.3. It developed the tick at around 50k miles after a summer of heavy towing.

And yet my Silverado with SSO and Ea filter is quiet as a mouse, no, one of the quietest motors ever! All you can hear is the injectors cycling.

We own a fleet of GM gas trucks and run Amsoil oil and filters in all of them. I do the service myself and not one of them ticks as so many have complained about. Got two with over 200k miles and over 4000 hours of stationary operation!!!!

If you know your duty cycles, that's brutal.

Originally Posted By: zjones
webfors

In the case of the motor here in question I would agree....It has roller rockers and even roller lifters for that matter...probably run without any oil at all for quite awhile. But when your at the Sonic Drive In under the metal canopy and you start your $45K truck up and you see people snicker at you something has got to be done :) Especially when they see it's not a Ford.

That's right, because if it was a Ford they'd be genuinely surprised. They see its a GM and figure its normal. If its not tickin' its gotta be slappin'!

RE the GTX check out the cold cranking figures on the web site. Cold start ups must be interesting on some of these engines.Castrol does not impress much with cold start ups cranking wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back