Castrol Edge 5W/30, 8073 mi, 07 Murano, VQ35DE V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the latest UOA from my Nissan Murano.

After nearly 80K miles on PP 5W30, I decided to switch over to Castrol Edge for no particular reason.

I used a Bosch D3323 DistancePlus oil filter and a AFE Pro Dry air filter.

I am the original owner and frequently travel on interstate highways.
Thanks for looking.

e49402.jpg

Nice report. Just wondering what's longest OCI you have done on your Mo? I have a 06, currently running M1-EP 5w-30. I am closing in on 7500mi now. Just curious how far I can push this oil.

The latest UOA (8073 mi.) is the longest interval to date. I gradually increased the OCI's and settled in to a 72-74K mile frequency.
I have no experience with M1 on this vehicle, however, if you decide to change it soon then pay extra for the TBN and you will have a good baseline for future OCI's

Looks excellent for a VQ that beats oil up(also depends on driving style, and CVT might be more immune to that abuse than 'gears').

I would keep interval at
TAN would be interesting. And, nitration, oxidation, sulfation, from another lab, would give you more info.

Originally Posted By: Carpet_Bagger
The latest UOA (8073 mi.) is the longest interval to date. I gradually increased the OCI's and settled in to a 72-74K mile frequency.
I have no experience with M1 on this vehicle, however, if you decide to change it soon then pay extra for the TBN and you will have a good baseline for future OCI's

Will you be sticking with Castrol Edge, or are you going back to Pennzoil Platinum.

I would like to change oil when TBN downs to around 2 or a little higher, no less. TBN of 1.4 is a little too low. Castrol Edge in this Murano and driving style should be changed out at around 7-7.5k miles.

Nice report. I would stick to 7,500 OCI's. I would also save some money and buy a Fram Extended Guard filter over the Bosch DP.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Nice report. I would stick to 7,500 OCI's. I would also save some money and buy a Fram Extended Guard filter over the Bosch DP.

I didn't pay list price for the Bosch filter. I completed an on-line survey for AAP and they sent me a $15 off coupon for a minimum $40 purchase. I picked up 2 BoschDP filters and other oil filters to make the minimum purchase amount.
I will not purchase BoschDP's at list price.

Originally Posted By: Carpet_Bagger

...I will not purchase BoschDP's at list price.

They do have an impressive efficiency and particle count report.

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Isnt Castrol Edge a 15,000 mile interval oil?

Yeah, like Mobil1 EP or Amsoil.... if you hop on the highway and drive 15k miles in a couple weeks.

And, a cheap store-brand mineral oil is a 15k mile oil with a toilet paper bypass filter.

So, ALL oils are unlimited mileage oil change interval if driving style, engine design, and filtration allow it. Obviously, the boutique oils are using the best base oils and additives to 'make up' for the severe driving style, poorly engineered engine limitations, and lack of filtration.

The VQ's typical gigantic oil sump, massively sized filter, and mega-timing chain & camshaft valve component collection.... limit the OCI.

My only issue, unseen in the UOA, is varnish building up. No sludge to worry about. But, variable cam controllers, solenoids, timing chains, tensioners, guides... might not take to varnish over the long term.

Originally Posted By: jsw
Nice report. Just wondering what's longest OCI you have done on your Mo? I have a 06, currently running M1-EP 5w-30. I am closing in on 7500mi now. Just curious how far I can push this oil.

Depending on your type of driving....you should easily be able to
do a 10,000 mile OCI on M1 EP....maybe even 12,000.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
jsw said:

Depending on your type of driving....you should easily be able to
do a 10,000 mile OCI on M1 EP....maybe even 12,000.

You think even in the VQ its a good idea to go 12k on a 5w30? They shear oil pretty quickly from what I've seen

I have a 2006 Murano with about 85,000 miles on it. I have used M1 but just switched to PP. I use WIX or NAPA GOLD oil filters and change oil at 7500 miles. It doesn't use any oil between changes.

No use pushing OCI in these engines, hard on oil, small oil sump and small oil filter. I just use the dash 7500 mile reminder and change oil then. Besides, I use a 7500 mile limit for all my synthetic oil feed engines. Oil is cheap compared to engines !

Nice wear, but TBN is very low with 0.5 qrt of make-up oil
How fast do go on highway? or highway to city ratio?
Nissan recommends change at 7500 miles/ 6 months for non-severe driving conditions.
I would say 7500 miles max for castrol edge!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I have a 2006 Murano with about 85,000 miles on it. I have used M1 but just switched to PP. I use WIX or NAPA GOLD oil filters and change oil at 7500 miles. It doesn't use any oil between changes.

No use pushing OCI in these engines, hard on oil, small oil sump and small oil filter. I just use the dash 7500 mile reminder and change oil then. Besides, I use a 7500 mile limit for all my synthetic oil feed engines. Oil is cheap compared to engines !

The longer VQ30 filter fits the VQ35 and that is what I always used on my Maxima and Altima. I believe the Wix part number is 51356. The stock VQ35 oil filter is puny for some reason. I never used it.

I put 3700 miles on Castrol Edge 5w30 in my 09' Z06 LS7 and the UOA showed excellent wear metals count too, the exception was the viscosity took a dive to 54.7. It basically turned into a 20w oil. I have a 10.5 qt dry sump capacity and big oil cooler. Not sure why it did that. I've moved on to RLI 10w30 HD. UOA on that in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back