Castrol Edge-10w-30-10,177 miles...Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Info:

2.4 motor
80% Hwy miles
Bosch filter with oil filter magnet

Wear looks nice to me but the TBN is disappointing. This is a 15,000 mile oil?

toyota_bl1.JPG

Last edited:
With TBN of only 1.5 after 10k miles of which 80% was highway miles, I would not use Castrol Edge for more than 10k miles in this engine.

No..it is not a sludge prone motor.

Additional info: This oil was put in early February 2009.

Again, I have to say if an M-1 user posted an UOA with iron at 21, there would be a flurry of "it's dissolving my engine" comments. I would not care to use Edge at it's original price for performance like this!!

You think 21 is bad for 10,177 miles? The universal avg for 4500 miles is 10.

All the other wear metals are at or way below the universal averages.

I think that is great wear especially with the comment on Silicon.

**What concerns me is many people spout off about running any Syn oil 10,000 miles. As you can see here and on other UOA's it is a close call.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Again, I have to say if an M-1 user posted an UOA with iron at 21, there would be a flurry of "it's dissolving my engine" comments. I would not care to use Edge at it's original price for performance like this!!

Mobil 1 would have more iron than this in half the miles.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Why do you find it necessary to bash?

Last year I did a UOA on both cars at almost 10,000 mile OCIs. The Merc was 22PPM on iron, and the Focus was 11PPM both on M1 oil.

ZZMan, your report is fine on the Castrol Edge. You might get another thou or two but not much more.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z

What air filter are you using?

Thanks for catching the engine I.D. I will have them correct that.

When I did this oil change I put in a new Fram air filter.

Silicon is high. This engine is a Tbn killer. There is an Amsoil ASL UOA somewhere on here and the tbn was shot at 10k miles also.

I would go with Amsoil SSO in this engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Why do you find it necessary to bash?

Last year I did a UOA on both cars at almost 10,000 mile OCIs. The Merc was 22PPM on iron, and the Focus was 11PPM both on M1 oil.

ZZMan, your report is fine on the Castrol Edge. You might get another thou or two but not much more.

Because I think Mobil 1 is [censored].

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z

What air filter are you using?

Thanks for catching the engine I.D. I will have them correct that.

When I did this oil change I put in a new Fram air filter.

What was the filter used during the OCI for this UOA? Ever used a K&N? Every one of these 2AZFE I have seen had high silicon readings. I do not know if it has to do with the materials used or poor intake duct design. But it does not seem to affect wear.

With a 4 qrt sump, it is a TBN killer, like buster said.

I like PP and 7.5K OCI base on my UOAs.

I meant I put a Fram air filter in it when I put the Castrol Edge in.

Since this is my first UOA ever and the first on this car I have no experience with other air filters to see what works best. I will also have to take a look at the filter and duct work.

Originally Posted By: tig1
chevrofreak,
You are a basher. Just admit it.

Mobil 1 sucks. Just admit it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

I have NO reason to like Mobil 1. None.

Then that makes you a basher. Chuckles!
I can't admit it and forsake 31 years of motoring excellence. Besides how would I explain it to all my friends and family that enjoy the security of engine performance that I have using the premire oil on this planet. Oh! The universe.

Fanboy doesn't even begin to cover it
smirk2.gif

chevyfreak,
Stop taking the bait. I could use one of those little smiley faces you guys use. Where can I get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back