Castrol Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I have a hard time imagining a Group III 10w-60...

Good point... Other 10W60s i have seen are all PAO, Shell Helix Ultra 10W60, Mainlube 175, what about 10W50, seems easily can be made from pretty much any base oil as long as some GRoup 3.

Which engine and how is it used? I used to run Penrite turbo (25W70) for years in my Mazda 626 turbo but I dom't use thick oil anymore. 5W40 BP Visco 5000 is the thickest oil I would use now except for an old jug of M1 15W50 I'm using up for top ups. 5W30 in the Outback

Spintman I see you have been converted to the thinner grades. For interest sake which brand of 5w-30 are using in the Outback.

Last edited:
For a VX Commodore one dual fuel lpg @200,000k's. BP Visco 5000 is extinct in the sense they arent making it anymore. Instread of BP Visco you wouldnt use Mobil 3000 ?

Why i am asking is i have a 20% voucher for Supercheap Autos, opportunity to get either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge as they the only real expensive ones they have that i can capitalize on ;).

The 5W30 is an oil Ford, Volvo, Jaguar, and who knows who else spent a squillion dollars developing and that's Caltex (Havoline)
Energy 5W30. I found boxes of 5-litre jugs at the local Caltex distributor. They still have some I believe and maybe I should buy the lot? Also today on Castrol Oz website I see Edge 0W40 and Edge Sport 0W40 with different specs (the Sport is lower viscosity @ 100C and slightly lower HTHS). Not sure what that is abvout

Well I might have to retract what I said. I read that on an old Castrol Edge site which seems to have been replaced. All I can find on the subject are old copies of press releases that just say "Castrol Edge"...

I'll see if I can find a copy of the original...

Sprintman, Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 and 10W60 both on special at Supercheap Autos for $49 ! 25% off ! not bad actually, pretty cheap, hard to choose which one now....

Hi,
in the current Porsche Approval's List the following five Castrol 0W-40 lubricants may be of interest;

1 - Formula RS Power and Protection (WW) Current until 21/01/09
2 - Edge Sport (WW) Current until 21/07/08
3 - Edge (WW) Current until 21/01/09
4 - Formula RS Motorsport (Europe) Current until 14/09/08

WW = World Wide availability

The above lubricants may therefore now be "obsolete" ex the Porsche List

5 - SLX Professional (WW) Current until 09/05/09

As a matter of interest only one Castrol 5W-40 has currency now;

Edge 5W-40 (WW except America)

All of the other seven 5W-40 lubricants Listed no longer have currency including - GTD Direct Injection

All of Porsche's engines are now DI as of MY08 & MY09

Porsche's total Ownership of VW-Audi will no doubt bring some rationalisation of their suppliers such as Oil Companies in the future - currently Castrol (VW-Audi) and Porsche (Mobil)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back