Castrol Edge 0w40, 3,502km, 2009 Volkswagen City Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is over 10 years old, so I wanted to do a UOA just to see how it's doing after a decade of use. Other than the low flashpoint, things are looking good so I'll change over from 6 to 12 month intervals. As of two months ago the Tucson has become the family car so the Jetta will see less usage as well. I drive the car pretty hard once it's up to temperature with lots of WOT moments. Lots of idling in the winter too. It's not uncommon for the car to idle around for 15 minutes as I shovel the driveway. I'm actually surprised, because it sees so many short trips (5-15km) with only the occasional highway run. Another surprise for me was the lack of silicon. A year or two ago I replaced the stock airbox (it was broken) with a cheap eBay pod filter, but apparently it's doing a decent enough job, plus it sounds good under throttle. I really don't care that it sucks in hot air. That being said the filter seems to be coming apart since my last oil change so I'll replace it with something a bit more high quality, like an AEM dry-flow, and call it a day. If you're wondering about the high oil consumption for such a short OCI, my oil cap seems to not be sealing well anymore. I'll post a picture below were you can clearly see oily residue around the fill hole.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Notice the oil residue around the oil cap
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back