Castrol Edge 0w30 - Skyactiv 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have 32,000 miles on the 2015 3 (2.0L). I dumped the OE fill at 4,000 miles and have used nothing but Mobil 1 EP over the last 28,000 miles. I recently changed over to Edge 5w20 EP. I was going to use Edge EP 0w20, but the Noack was bit on the high side for my liking. (13.2%). I went with the 5w20 Edge EP because the Noack is about (11%).

I personally have never noticed a correlation between Noack and oil consumption. I’ve always found oil consumption depends more on how the car is driven, and what type of low tension rings are being used. My Honda always used oil from day one. Some though have suggested that the lower Noack the better because as time goes on and some of the oil burns off, this eventually leads to ring sticking which causes a spike in oil consumption as the car ages. My 05 Accord did consume more oil as time went on, but I think that had more to do with low tension rings than Noack. I used heavier oils and oils with a lower Noack that never made a difference in oil consumption.

So, being I’m already using Castrol and I like their latest formulations with Ti, I was debating on trying Edge 0w30 (ACEA A3 with a Noack of 8.3%). If you look at the global PDF for the Skyactiv 2.0, this engine can be run on any grade from a 0w20 to a 5w50.

My question is, are there any known issues with using a higher viscosity in this engine other than taking a fuel economy hit? The Edge 0w30 is a better oil, as it meets more demanding specs than the Edge EP. However, it’s also SL (more ZDP), and also has a lower Noack. I tend to drive hard and about 85 mph on the highway. This car does not consume any noticeable oil.

I have to say, I’m impressed with Mazda engines, and there ability to NOT consume any oil. Our 2007 3, 2014 3 and my 2015 3 never burn any oil. Can’t say that about my Honda and Toyotas.

I wish I know the Noack for the Edge EP 10w30. That would be an option.

0w20 is the recommended oil for USA & Canadian markets only. 5w30 is recommended elsewhere. You will find this information in your owners manual. Ed

^, thanks I'm aware of that. My question was whether there any issues using an ACEA A3 rated oil in a 2.0 Skyactiv. Probably not and few would know. The HT/HS of 3.5 is overkill for this engine. I'm probably just better off sticking with a 20 grade with a Noack of 10% or so. The Edge EP 5w20 is around 11%, which isn't bad. I'm being a bit too picky and obsessive.
grin.gif

A friend of ours has a couple of Honda Accords, he used to have two older ones, gave one to his daughter, and bought a used newer Accord. He says he thinks the newer Honda engines aren't as good, they consume more oil than his older ones did.

Certain Toyotas are better than others, I think. Our dad has a 2006 Tundra. It didn't consume any oil when new, and now, almost 10 years later, it still doesn't consume oil. I was surprised and impressed by it.
Our dad has done heavy towing with the truck, he has towed a travel trailer cross country to the west coast and back, towed the trailer to WI, and MO and back, so, this truck has not been babied.

Last edited:
I highly, highly doubt anyone here has or knows of any longterm use using what is essentially a VW 502.00 oil in the Skyactiv 2.0 gas engine. If I was to use a XW30 in this engine, it would be an energy conserving 0W30 flavor, not a HT/HS of 3.5+ one. My wife owned a Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine, hence my username. I used 0W20 Kendall GT-1 full synthetic with Liquid Titanium API SN in it. She got a better job and traded it in for a better car.

Originally Posted By: buster
Some though have suggested that the lower Noack the better because as time goes on and some of the oil burns off, this eventually leads to ring sticking which causes a spike in oil consumption as the car ages.

Even if the above is true, seeing as you don't keep your cars very long, does it really matter?
smile.gif

I have to say, I’m impressed with Mazda engines, and there ability to NOT consume any oil. Our 2007 3, 2014 3 and my 2015 3 never burn any oil. Can’t say that about my Honda and Toyotas.

I wish I know the Noack for the Edge EP 10w30. That would be an option.

Some Honda engines don't consume any measurable amount of oil during an OCI, especially the engines designed/manufactured in Japan. My S2000 didn't consume any measurable oil even it revs fairly high on highway(around 4200-4300 PM at 80 MPH) and I redline it several times each drive.

Same for MB engines, some use oil and some don't. My particular E430 didn't consume any oil that can be measured in 10-13k miles OCI, even with PP 5W20 instead of A3/B4.

May be your particular Honda and Toyota engines were not up to standard.

My question is, are there any known issues with using a higher viscosity in this engine other than taking a fuel economy hit?

To answer your question directly, there are no known issues with using 1 grade heavier engine oil in a SkyActiv-G engine.

Now, to answer your question a bit more thoroughly, think about this fact:

There are no differences in engine construction between a US Market SkyActiv-G engine, and a European market SkyActiv-G engine.

Ultimately, you have to decide this one fact:

If your car has an oil related failure during the warranty period, do you want Mazda to pay for the repair, or are you willing to pay for it out of your own pocket?

If you want Mazda to pay for the repair, I highly recommend that you use 0W-20 oil.
If you're willing to pay for the repair, then you can use whatever oil you want, and be perfectly happy.

Now, just to be clear, I don't believe you would have any oil related failure using a name brand oil 1 or 2 weights heavier during the warranty period, but I have to point out the obvious thing you need to remember. Mazda warranties the engine performance for 50k miles in the USA if you use 0W-20, and sometimes they are real sticklers if you don't use the correct oil weight.

Just ask anyone who owns an RX-8, a Mazda Speed 3 or 6, or anyone who owned a turbocharged CX-7, and had oil/turbo-related failures back in the day.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back