Castrol EDGE 0w30 A3 Belgium

I saw a newly designed EDGE 0w30 A3 made in Belgium a week or so ago. I thought this oil had disappeared? Is it still good? Is there a PDS? Thanks

I have a few Belgium bottles when I was searching for GC and bought them at $2 a quart, years ago when Autozone was getting rid of them. It is currently in my Honda lawn mower doing fine. Will do an UOA at the one year mark.

where did you see them and are they still about $10 / qt? iirc, it's api SL. No?

I've been using if for years and it's still available on Amazon. I just ordered 2 cases a month ago.

Here is a VOA from that batch. I posted this in the VOA section several days ago.

Scott

Attachments

• VOA Castrol 0W-30 2020.jpeg
    VOA Castrol 0W-30 2020.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 295
I've been using if for years and it's still available on Amazon. I just ordered 2 cases a month ago.

Here is a VOA from that batch. I posted this in the VOA section several days ago.

Scott
It looks to me almost identical to the VOA from Castrol Edge 5W40 I posted there recently but obviously different viscosity numbers. Slightly more titanium is the thing i see different. Why are folks so excited about this oil...is it fair to say its a bit over-hyped?

Last edited:
It uses different base oil than the 5w-40, possibly less prone to oxidation and thermal degradation. That leads to slower consumption of additives in the oil that also adress oxidation and neutralising acids. The same additive concentration can work longer.

It uses different base oil than the 5w-40, possibly less prone to oxidation and thermal degradation. That leads to slower consumption of additives in the oil that also adress oxidation and neutralising acids. The same additive concentration can work longer.
This would work fine in our Atlas 3.6 - maybe I'll try it and see if there is any difference in the UOAs between it and the 5W40.

It looks to me almost identical to the VOA from Castrol Edge 5W40 I posted there recently but obviously different viscosity numbers. Slightly more titanium is the thing i see different. Why are folks so excited about this oil...is it fair to say its a bit over-hyped?
It is not identical if you look SDS.
This oil has probably 50% PAO as pour point is extremely low. Group III stuff is probably of better quality too.

It is not identical if you look SDS.
This oil has probably 50% PAO as pour point is extremely low. Group III stuff is probably of better quality too.
Pour point is -60°C.
Would this oil be good in my ’18 bmw 330i. Car is kept outside in Quebec winters and used daily fir a 30km commute…. Or should i just use 0w20 ll17

Back