Castrol Edge 0w-40 or PZ EuroL for VW GDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some oils for the wife's new VW Sportwagen 1.8T 6M. We usually do 6 month changes, about 4500 miles, so reduced SAPS additives are plenty strong.

The 2019 manual now calls for either 502 or 504 anyway. So the dilemma is to use lower SAPS to avert intake valve deposits, something we never had a problem with. Euro L also has low Ca at 1700, so it should help avoid LSPI too.

The Edge 0w-40 I looked at initially seemed to have lower Ca and higher Mg, plus Ti that helps quench LSPI. So with MB 229 it looked like a great choice.

However the most recent UOAs show higher Ca of 2200, if I am not mistaken. Did Castrol change to higher Ca? Are they unconcerned about LSPI, and should I be?

VW/Audi doesn't have a record of LSPI problems anyway. Should I be looking at these oils or something different? I have no probs running Euro L in liew of VW 504, the MB and BMW specs alone are fine. I already have Pennzoil Platinum SRT here l could run it with high Ca but also high moly, another element that quenches LSPI.

So why am I looking at Edge if the Ca is back up? Doesn't Euro L seem ideal?

If the vehicle is under warranty I would suggest using an actual approved oil. In your case I would not be concerned about LSPI whatsoever.

Same car here, 2018 Golf Sportwagen 4Mo DSG 1.8. Using Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (VW502.00). Been doing 7.5K changes (about ready for my third at ~20K); I drive ~24K/year. UOAs all have come back just fine. I also run Unitronic performance software (Stage 1+). LSPI - not sure this is really a problem with the MQB VW 4 cylinders - if you aren't downshifting at low RPMs and flooring it which generates lots of boost, I doubt that will be an issue. I'd just stick to regular ol' 502 oils like the Castrol or M1 unless you want to spend a few more bucks and get the LM kits online and support Euro-focused retailers like www.shopdap.com etc. My kits are $60 including VW filter and drain plug. No real reason to run anything that isn't approved or commonly available in these engines. I take it you have the 4Mo version as you have a 2019 with the 1.8 which isn't available in the non-4Mo versions this year?

Last edited:
Jimmy, I am not concerned about specs for warranty, only that they inform me about the oil. My dealer will not deny me under any circumstances.

For the sake of the discussion, assume Euro L is a VW 504 equivalent. There are other issues in play other than warranty compliance.

The standard "use what the manual says" response isn't informative. VW 502 Castrol 5w-40 in a drum is a somewhat lame product compared to the 2 l mentioned.

I do worry about LSPI a bit since the engine is connected to a manual transmission...lugging is a possibility.

Originally Posted by Zolton
Jimmy, I am not concerned about specs for warranty, only that they inform me about the oil. My dealer will not deny me under any circumstances.

For the sake of the discussion, assume Euro L is a VW 504 equivalent. There are other issues in play other than warranty compliance.

The standard "use what the manual says" response isn't informative. VW 502 Castrol 5w-40 in a drum is a somewhat lame product compared to the 2 l mentioned.

I'm not saying you must use the dealer Castrol. I'm saying if the thing chucks a rod at 25k miles it would be nice to know at that point you have used approved oils.

AWD 6M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice! Here's mine. It will be getting an IS20 and downpipe on it next week.

20190520_133213.jpg

Looking at some oils for the wife's new VW Sportwagen 1.8T 6M. We usually do 6 month changes, about 4500 miles, so reduced SAPS additives are plenty strong.

The 2019 manual now calls for either 502 or 504 anyway. So the dilemma is to use lower SAPS to avert intake valve deposits, something we never had a problem with. Euro L also has low Ca at 1700, so it should help avoid LSPI too.

The Edge 0w-40 I looked at initially seemed to have lower Ca and higher Mg, plus Ti that helps quench LSPI. So with MB 229 it looked like a great choice.

However the most recent UOAs show higher Ca of 2200, if I am not mistaken. Did Castrol change to higher Ca? Are they unconcerned about LSPI, and should I be?

VW/Audi doesn't have a record of LSPI problems anyway. Should I be looking at these oils or something different? I have no probs running Euro L in liew of VW 504, the MB and BMW specs alone are fine. I already have Pennzoil Platinum SRT here l could run it with high Ca but also high moly, another element that quenches LSPI.

Not problem in European vehicles.
I use Castrol 0W40 in wife's Tiguan since it is on the market.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Quick question:

The Castrol 0W40 I am able to get from local store is as following pic:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And found 2 versions of MSDS below:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

May I know which one is correct?

Although both MSDS showing decent (~50%) of PAO in the oil.

Thanks for your help!

Golf S/W is a great car. I've never seen one with mods! I had Golf 7 5sp 1.8T w/APR for a while, too small and no AWD, I traded it with 2000 miles, not even one oil change, a tragedy for a Bitog member.

Those pds are dated 2014 and 2018, so likely that's the formula change I was talking about. The pic of the bottle you posted looks older, and no titanium on the label. Can you find a date code or API cert?

As for LSPI, I am over it. Gonna use Pennzoil 0w-40 since I have to buy some new spec oil for warranty purposes anyway, also I can just top up the extra 6th quart with Pennzoil Platinum I already have laying around. Sort of a lame reason to choose an oil, but I would rather play it cheap.

6 months 4500 miles would be ok on a reduced SAPS oil, but it's not worth the effort and cost. I do periodic intake spray cleanings anyway. MB 229.5 is overkill but we don't really want to go a full year oci. Too many EA888 engine woes come back to infrequent oil services.

I also have a new Mercedes Metris with 3000 miles that will get some PZ Ultra Platinum SRT 0w-40 then Mobil 1 FS (for suckers) that I already have.

New car is a chance to shuffle the oil stash a little but it looks like not much is changing after all.

Originally Posted by aleneros
Originally Posted by edyvw

Quick question:

The Castrol 0W40 I am able to get from local store is as following pic:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And found 2 versions of MSDS below:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

May I know which one is correct?

Although both MSDS showing decent (~50%) of PAO in the oil.

Thanks for your help!

First one. Although I think there is updated MSDS for 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back