Castrol Edge 0w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time follower of the site, so I decided to join and ask a few noob questions if I can
smile.gif

I currently own an '08 M3 which is leaving my garage soon, an '01 740iL sport and a newly purchased '02 M3 with super low miles.

I used the Castrol TWS 10w-60 oil in my E92 M3 in it's entire life with 5,xxx miles oil changes. The thing about it is, it takes way too long for the engine to reach to it's full operating temperature with this oil. I don't track or abuse my cars, but I do long highway drives. I always asked my self if the TWS is unnecessary for my purpose? Then I saw UOA reports at M3post where E9x M3s having lower lead values with a thinner oil like the Mobil 1 0w-40. So this made me think what to put in the E46 M3.

In my '01 740iL, I recently switched from BMW's 5w-30 oil to Castrol 0w-40 (the one that is made in Germany). I debated between the Castrol 0w-40 and the Mobile 1 0w-40 before the switch, then I decided to go with a brand that I used for 310,xxx miles in my previous '98 740iL which was the Castrol (and also for the fact that this particular 0w-40 oil is made in Germany which I thought would most likely be a group IV. oil). So far I am extremely pleased with this oil in my car. I can really feel that the car is more responsive on low rpm range. So I bought 20 or so of the 5 quart bottles while they were on sale at Wal-mart
smile.gif

So straight down to my question; although it's specifically the Mobil 1 brand, the 0w-40 weight is used and even is the OE oil in some high performance and reputable brands such as Nissan GT-R, Porche and Mercedes-Benz AMG. Would the Castrol 0w-40 be also fine to run in a E46 M3? I couldn't find any comparison for these two oils. Is the Mobile 1's 0w-40 oil superior to the Castrol's 0w-40? Even though it's used in Porsches and other high performance cars, is the 0w-40 weight oil too thin for the S54 in E46 M3?

I kinda answered your own question or concern, you used brand X for 300+ thousand miles and had no problems, but brand Y is good too. What do I buy?

If you had no issues with brand X for that many miles, why switch? Everything else really is irrelevant. As long as manufacturers recommendations are being followed, stick with what is working for you.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Reflex
The thing about it is, it takes way too long for the engine to reach to it's full operating temperature with this oil.

The heat capacity of a 10w-60 vs 0w-40 likely is very similar.

Heat capacity is defined as kJ/kg*K

So for 1kG of oil, you need so many kJ of energy to raise the kilogram of oil one Kelvin (or one degree celsius).

The reality is that there isnt likely any visible difference in heating rate associated with the different viscosities. Different volumes of oil, sure.

Is there an oil cooler? Does it have a thermostat?

Regarding M1 vs Castrol - the questions come down to specifications and physical characteristics. The Castrol has a good pour point, so it should pump well in the cold, and is approved to lots of certifications. Question is if it meets the right spec for the M3 or any other vehicle.

If a car is running a 60wt oil, Id probably look for the heaviest, highest HT/HS of the two...

Swing by a few Autozones,they still have Castrol Edge 0W40 for $1 a quart (I picked up three 5 quart jugs for $5 each).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Swing by a few Autozones,they still have Castrol Edge 0W40 for $1 a quart (I picked up three 5 quart jugs for $5 each).

Is this a nationwide sale or just your particular store sale?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Is this a nationwide sale or just your particular store sale?

Jeff

I'm guessing "mostly" nationwide. There have been a few posters here that said their local stores weren't running the clearance. The only $1 a quart oil left in stock that hasn't been completely bought out in the stores here is Valvoline Durablend 10W30.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I kinda answered your own question or concern, you used brand X for 300+ thousand miles and had no problems, but brand Y is good too. What do I buy?

If you had no issues with brand X for that many miles, why switch? Everything else really is irrelevant. As long as manufacturers recommendations are being followed, stick with what is working for you.

Jeff

Thanks for the response. That is exactly why I went with Castrol. But keep in mind that, the Castrol I used for many years and that many miles in my previous E38 was the 5w-30 and not the 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The thing about it is, it takes way too long for the engine to reach to it's full operating temperature with this oil.

So for 1kG of oil, you need so many kJ of energy to raise the kilogram of oil one Kelvin (or one degree celsius).

The reality is that there isnt likely any visible difference in heating rate associated with the different viscosities. Different volumes of oil, sure.

Regarding M1 vs Castrol - the questions come down to specifications and physical characteristics. The Castrol has a good pour point, so it should pump well in the cold, and is approved to lots of certifications. Question is if it meets the right spec for the M3 or any other vehicle.

If a car is running a 60wt oil, Id probably look for the heaviest, highest HT/HS of the two...

Thanks for the reply. I always thought a thinner oil would reach the operating temperature faster? In this case weather Castrol or Mobil 1. a 0w-40 weight oil is thinner than the Castrol TWS 10w-60 and should flow better under colder weather conditions reducing the amount of damage being made to the rod bearings in that warming cycle. I am getting a little confused here.

Are you serious? I thought $21 for a 5 quarts bottle was a good deal
smile.gif

Castrol Edge 0w-40 has as many approvals as M1 0W40, so it would be as good as any other oil on those lists, especially you don't track your M3's you don't need TWS 10w-60. For regular price of $21.xx vs $26.xx for M1 at Walmart I would use Castrol.

Almost nobody in CA had been able to get any $1/qt oil at any Autozone store. Atlanta may have those Castrol 0W40 on clearance for $1/qt or $5 5-qt jug.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Castrol Edge 0w-40 has as many approvals as M1 0W40, so it would be as good as any other oil on those lists, especially you don't track your M3's you don't need TWS 10w-60. For regular price of $21.xx vs $26.xx for M1 at Walmart I would use Castrol.

Almost nobody in CA had been able to get any $1/qt oil at any Autozone store. Atlanta may have those Castrol 0W40 on clearance for $1/qt or $5 5-qt jug.

Thank you sir, for your response.

I'm guessing "mostly" nationwide. There have been a few posters here that said their local stores weren't running the clearance.

Yeah, no such sales at my local AZ store.

OP said he bought 20 x 5qt jugs of Castrol 0w40, so I guess he has to use those now!

I'm running the Castrol 0w40 for the first time and am liking it. I've used M1 0w40 in the past and right now prefer the Castrol.

But we'll see how the whole OCI goes.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
OP said he bought 20 x 5qt jugs of Castrol 0w40, so I guess he has to use those now!

I'm running the Castrol 0w40 for the first time and am liking it. I've used M1 0w40 in the past and right now prefer the Castrol.

But we'll see how the whole OCI goes.

I don't really have to use those in the M3 but I would love to try them, see how the S54 motor reacts and give it a UOA. I have a very little knowledge about oils, but I strongly believe that a lighter weight oil in these cars will be the ultimate protection for street use. The Castrol TWS 10w-60 is a superb oil and might very well be the best oil out there for it's main purpose, but from my experience it's an unnecessary oil for anything other than track use or extremely aggressive street driving.

Like I mentioned above, I have a daily driver, an '01 740iL which I currently run the Castrol 0w-40 in for the first time. So those 20 bottles are definitely will be used one way or another
smile.gif
The M62 motor absolutely loved this oil straight from the first day and the more I drove the better it got. The improved responsiveness in the lower rpm range is like a night and day compare to the BMW's 5w-30 oil that I used to buy from the dealer (which I believe is a rebranded US made Castrol oil).

I just want to be sure about something; the Mobil 1 0w-40 is a group III. oil and the German Castrol Edge Titanium 0w-40 is a group IV. oil correct?

I went to a different AZ last night to look for a car cover and they have the following for $1:

Syntec 0W30 (SL "Syntec label version)
Edge 0W30 (Begium and German versions)
Edge 0W40
Durablend 5W30 and 10W40

They have cases and cases of these oils stacked up.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thanks for the reply. I always thought a thinner oil would reach the operating temperature faster? In this case weather Castrol or Mobil 1. a 0w-40 weight oil is thinner than the Castrol TWS 10w-60 and should flow better under colder weather conditions reducing the amount of damage being made to the rod bearings in that warming cycle. I am getting a little confused here.

Im not sure about the reaching temperature faster, but youre absolutely right about the 0w-40 flowing faster/better. Downside is that a 40wt at temperature will have less film strength than a 60wt, even if the 40wt has a high HT/HS value. And that's why they spec it...

A 5w-50 may be a good intermediate compromise, though Ive not looked at those specs at all...

As far as your concern about basestocks it's irrelevant. What matters is the oils certifications.
I Suggest contacting our member overkill. He's got a bimmer that I think is similar to yours. And he's pretty knowledgeable so holler at him for actual road experience in a bimmer with a 40 grade.
Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 meet many of the same specs with similar certifications so in my opinion they are interchangeable.
Mobil has a bit higher viscosity index if that's important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back