Castrol E-Pods

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting for the boat shop - we do a comparatively small number of changes compared to an auto shop, but boats have high capacity sumps.

Merc oil is just dino but still expensive and is inconvenient for us to purchase.

Hmmm...Another bunch of plastic parts to toss as many recycling companies don't want oil containers.
This is the kind of stuff which really pollutes the Earth.

Why...to catch a customer's eye? Maybe to easily demonstrate that you have the RIGHT OIL for that customer's engine?
...in a world where there's easily a score of oils -that's 20- to be applied correctly every working day?

It's not blowing my skirt up.

"Well, I got 1.4 qts. of 5-20 in this pod and maybe 4 qts. of 10-30 in this one...and they don't have 5-30 at the distributor...and there's dirt all over it...and it tipped over the other day...and I don't see why I need separate delivery jugs...and

Put this busy bottle holder on the trap door and pull the lever.....Bye-bye.

Originally Posted by Kira
Hmmm...Another bunch of plastic parts to toss as many recycling companies don't want oil containers.
This is the kind of stuff which really pollutes the Earth.

Why...to catch a customer's eye? Maybe to easily demonstrate that you have the RIGHT OIL for that customer's engine?
...in a world where there's easily a score of oils -that's 20- to be applied correctly every working day?

It's not blowing my skirt up.

"Well, I got 1.4 qts. of 5-20 in this pod and maybe 4 qts. of 10-30 in this one...and they don't have 5-30 at the distributor...and there's dirt all over it...and it tipped over the other day...and I don't see why I need separate delivery jugs...and

Put this busy bottle holder on the trap door and pull the lever.....Bye-bye.

It would be better if the pods could be refilled. I agree that the plastic waste is unfortunate. My mechanic installed one because it takes the space of one 55 gallon drum. Unlike the drum the epods drain completely.

Originally Posted by Excel
good lord a new gimmick

Yup. Why the need for something like that ?

Nitrogen filled tires was another gimmick....

Castrol COULD collect and re-fill them... include a prepaid return label in the box, to send the old one back, similar to HP and Toner Cartridges...

they probably won't, but they could...

Last edited:
I saved this in my bookmarks, will open whenever I am having a restless sleep, should put me right out.

Originally Posted by Kira
Hmmm...Another bunch of plastic parts to toss as many recycling companies don't want oil containers. This is the kind of stuff which really pollutes the Earth.

If you're changing your own oil, as most on this site do, aren't you contributing to the same "kind of stuff which really pollutes the Earth"?

Last I checked, all consumer oil comes in plastic bottles, which also can't be recycled, and gets thrown away.

hy·poc·ri·sy
/həˈpäkrəsē/
noun
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

There's an independent shop working out of a Mobil gas station near me that tried this setup for a while. The owner said it was the biggest mess he'd ever used. Just too many leaks. Maybe he was doing something wrong.

I agree, the last thing we need is another gimmicky lubricant delivery system. Castrol's "Nexcel"
cartridge-style oil change system was pretty creative but didn't take off. So I seriously doubt this system will ever leave the ground either.
My oil jugs are drained completely, and reused or recycled. I called my local materials management agency and they confirmed these materials are all sorted at the facility. So are plastic shopping bags, milk jugs, beverage containers, yogurt/sour cream containers, etc. Of course they cannot have any significant amount of residue.
The only materials that become garbage are truly garbage: food contamination (on cardboard, other packaging, etc), toothpaste tubes, etc. They recycle everything that they can. Since plastic is made from petroleum, small amounts of residual oil are not a problem. But if it's used oil that's been sitting for years and put a layer of sediment stuck at the bottom... they don't bother with those messes. This facility is very thorough and I'd like to think there are others like it around the country.

Last edited:
OKEYDOKEY...you heard it here first...I'm not going to patent it, so it's now open source.

Shannow's better version of this Castrol Gimmick (and it's a gimmick, as the storage containers are tiny compared to a shop's needs).

Make an oil station, like the paint blending station at the hardware shop.

Computer based recipe book...6 basestocks (3 syn viscosities, 3 dino, 4, 6, 8Cst), a couple of VM packages, DI packages. Basestocks in 1,000L bulk boxes in store room (or pressurised beer kegs behind the station)

Car needs syn 0W20...x parts 6Cst, y parts 4 Cst, two pumps of VM(a), 5 pumps of DI.
Car needs sem syn 5W30 x parts 8Cst Dino, y parts 4Cst Syn, three pumps VM, 6 pumps DI.

Couple of other additive options (Lucas, LOL, Moly, Ti).

Would genuinely reduce inventory and waste.

and I'd have one in my garage, and never leave it's side...

I was also thinking today while wheeling a 55 gal drum in, that this machine carries all of its weight, probably 180 lbs or so on top, so if this falls over when wheeling across the shop.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back