Castrol Bulk Oil at Mazda Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up a '15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech pkg tomorrow.When looking at the CX accessories in the parts area I saw bottles of the Mazda GL-5 oil on display.
Yet when I asked a service adviser what oil is used and he said the Castrol line and gave me a rebate coupon for Castrol oil on a change.
I'll pay extra and request the Mazda oil when due for a oil change but who knows if they'll actually add it.

In my experience, most dealers do not use OEM oil, just whatever they get the cheapest price on. However, some dealerships do use it, especially for cars that require a fairly exotic weight. For example, I called the Honda dealership that my mom purchased her new Fit from and asked what type of oil they use in that car, since it calls for 0W-20 and I didn't want them putting the incorrect weight in it. They said that for the cars requiring 0W-20, they put the Honda oil in it and they don't charge extra for doing so. Pretty cool, but YMMV.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
In my experience, most dealers do not use OEM oil, just whatever they get the cheapest price on. However, some dealerships do use it, especially for cars that require a fairly exotic weight. For example, I called the Honda dealership that my mom purchased her new Fit from and asked what type of oil they use in that car, since it calls for 0W-20 and I didn't want them putting the incorrect weight in it. They said that for the cars requiring 0W-20, they put the Honda oil in it and they don't charge extra for doing so. Pretty cool, but YMMV.

I don't think I'll be able to watch what's put in.
I guess I'll go with the Castrol Edge that's available.MAYBE they'll actually add that...maybe.
I don't trust dealers but my oil changing days are over.

Mazda has a bulk deal. They use Castrol OE 0W-20. It is a very stout oil and better than the retail Castrol offerings. My skyactiv turned in a good UOA on it. The only reason I didn't stick with it was because it seems every car that runs a long time on Castrol gets very yellow and varnish like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Mazda has a bulk deal. They use Castrol OE 0W-20. It is a very stout oil and better than the retail Castrol offerings. My skyactiv turned in a good UOA on it. The only reason I didn't stick with it was because it seems every car that runs a long time on Castrol gets very yellow and varnish like.

I just asked about that oil in a thread,thanks.
So the exclusive dealership use isn't a gimmick.

Idemitsu makes the bottled high moly content 0W20 oil for Mazda. We have the Castrol 0W20 in drums as well as Idemitsu in drums. Cost is about the same, but Mazda pushes the Castrol because Castrol paid big dollars to be on the side of the Mazda TUDOR race cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Idemitsu makes the bottled high moly content 0W20 oil for Mazda. We have the Castrol 0W20 in drums as well as Idemitsu in drums. Cost is about the same, but Mazda pushes the Castrol because Castrol paid big dollars to be on the side of the Mazda TUDOR race cars.

Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back