Castrol (BP) is reluctant to provide PROOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a "facts and figures" kinda guy. If you make a claim, you'd better be able to PROVE it to me...or I think you're just "puffing", shall we say.

Let me fist say that I like Castrol Edge and I use Castrol Edge oil in all three of my cars (and truck). Having said that, they make a claim on their website that I want to VERIFY which says, "Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended Performance stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown – the ultimate test of strength." and "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278 and CEC-L-14 independent testing." Source: http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-stat...-motor-oil.html

I think Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a great oil as well, and if you're gonna have the onions to bash this oil on your website, you'd better be able to back up your trash talk, don't you think?

I called Customer Support who said they (Customer Support) do not have a copy of these referenced, independent test results behind these claims. They further told me BP may not be willing to provide such test results to the public, to which I replied..."Then why should we, as consumers, believe the claims that you're making about the performance of your oils are even real and not completely fabricated..."?

Crickets...nothin' but crickets.

I've started to e-mail one of 88 different e-mail addresses that I have for Castrol. Stay tuned...same time...same Bat channel...

Ed

Find something worthy to fret over. It's marketing claims, and they are rarely based in truth. If you don't like the way the product is marketed, then use something else.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
and if you're gonna have the onions to bash this oil on your website, you'd better be able to back up your trash talk, don't you think?

They didn't bash Mobil, they said their product is the best in so many words. Leave it to Mobil to go after them if they stated a falsehood. You can always let Mobil know what Castrol said and see how they respond if you're so concerned over it. Let them fight their own fight.

When I discussed stuff like this with the head shell chemist he actually said that Pennzoil products and other under the umbrella always perform better than marketing will let them say because of legal reasons.

You can get some very knowledgeable people on the phone there I met one of the guys, at 1800BESTOIL

Not taking sides, but I was looking at some UOA's for 5W-30 oils and the Castrol Magnatec was still in grade after many thousands of miles, while the M1 had sheared out of grade. Different people with different vehicles, but it did catch my eye. Maybe this is what they are refering to.

I'm a "facts and figures" kinda guy. If you make a claim, you'd better be able to PROVE it to me...or I think you're just "puffing", shall we say.

Let me fist say that I like Castrol Edge and I use Castrol Edge oil in all three of my cars (and truck). Having said that, they make a claim on their website that I want to VERIFY which says, "Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended Performance stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown – the ultimate test of strength." and "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278 and CEC-L-14 independent testing." Source: http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-stat...-motor-oil.html

I think Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a great oil as well, and if you're gonna have the onions to bash this oil on your website, you'd better be able to back up your trash talk, don't you think?

I called Customer Support who said they (Customer Support) do not have a copy of these referenced, independent test results behind these claims. They further told me BP may not be willing to provide such test results to the public, to which I replied..."Then why should we, as consumers, believe the claims that you're making about the performance of your oils are even real and not completely fabricated..."?

Crickets...nothin' but crickets.

I've started to e-mail one of 88 different e-mail addresses that I have for Castrol. Stay tuned...same time...same Bat channel...

Ed

Mobil1 extended performance isn't available in Egypt, plus I'm satisfied with castrol magnatec. My concern is about service time.

Will be waiting for your updates.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
When I discussed stuff like this with the head shell chemist he actually said that Pennzoil products and other under the umbrella always perform better than marketing will let them say because of legal reasons.

You can get some very knowledgeable people on the phone there I met one of the guys, at 1800BESTOIL

As far as i know, castrol isn't under umbrella of Pennzoil. Plus Pennzoil isn't available in Egypt.

I like how Pennzoil had a program to put their oil against any of your favorites to see which one was best. Hard to beat that one.

At one time or another it seems each oil company makes some claim as "best". Usually they will pick some individual test in which their oil "bested" the competition.
We can all agree, there are a lot of very fine oils out there. Use what you like, pick a color, a fav race team, whatever and don't worry. I get tired of hearing someone bash a certain oil because they had an engine failure while using said oil, when there are so few genuine oil related failures, that your chances at winning the lottery are probably better.
From RK, ST,and Travelers to Castrol, M1,and SOPUS, I just don't believe you could tell much difference in any of them when used as indicated.
So choose your oil, if you feel better with one over another, then fine, let's face it peace of mind is worth something, and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Does the free oil come with a Statement of Fact of some kind ?

Two free UOA done by Blackstone along with 12 quarts of free oil.

Originally Posted By: Omar_Eltahan
Guys, i deeply respect your discussion .. but would anyone answers me?

If you are referring to your question in the other thread (re Castrol Magnatec and your Chery)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4336771/

Then I need to know how much sulphur is in your fuel to give a good estimate.

But as Silk from NZ posted in your other thread, 10000 KM is the distance given in New Zealand for that car.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Not taking sides, but I was looking at some UOA's for 5W-30 oils and the Castrol Magnatec was still in grade after many thousands of miles, while the M1 had sheared out of grade. Different people with different vehicles, but it did catch my eye. Maybe this is what they are refering to.

Yep, I perceived that way, too.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Find something worthy to fret over. It's marketing claims, and they are rarely based in truth. If you don't like the way the product is marketed, then use something else.

If you're right in that marketing claims are rarely based in truth...that's a real problem IMHO.

As I say, I like their oil, and will likely continue to use it because I do think it's a great quality product, but I'm surprised in today's litigious society they would make a claim and not freely provide the data to back up their claim.

21.gif

Ed

I got a response from Castrol about their claims, and I can't say that I'm surprised.

I asked them, "Your website says "Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended Performance stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown – the ultimate test of strength." and "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278 and CEC-L-14 independent testing." Can you provide me with these test results?"

Their reply...

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. The information requested is not available as it is proprietary."

Ed

I received a reply back from them as well:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

We would be happy to send you some Castrol Goodwill Coupons for your personal use. Please provide us with your mailing address.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol. We value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

I told them I'd like to test their oils out and compare them to the competition via UOA.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They didn't bash Mobil, they said their product is the best in so many words. Leave it to Mobil to go after them if they stated a falsehood. You can always let Mobil know what Castrol said and see how they respond if you're so concerned over it. Let them fight their own fight.

All the big oil and filter companies already know all the advertising claims made by their competition. If they see something they can prove is a false claim by their competition, the lawyers will be let loose to correct the problem.

I got a response from Castrol about their claims, and I can't say that I'm surprised.

I asked them, "Your website says "Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended Performance stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown – the ultimate test of strength." and "Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278 and CEC-L-14 independent testing." Can you provide me with these test results?"

Their reply...

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. The information requested is not available as it is proprietary."

Ed

Lame answer from Castrol, but they are talking viscosity breakdown, and I think all the data you need is in the UOA section of BITOG.

According to J300 a 30 grade oil has a viscosity (at 100C) of between 9.3 and 12.5cSt, while a typical ILSAC 30 grade oil would have a viscosity of 10 to 11 cSt.

From the UOA section:
2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost, M1 5W30 at 5557 miles, KV100 = 8.16cSt
2014 3.5L Ecoboost, M1 5W30 at 4591 miles, KV100 = 7.48 cSt

2012 F150 Ecoboost, Magnatec 5W30 at 9000 miles, KV100 = 9.65 cSt
2013 F150 Ecoboost, Magnatec 5W30, as series done by KJSmith
9961 miles, KV100 = 10.29 cSt
9108 miles, KV100 = 9.20 cSt
9278 miles, KV100 = 10.26 cSt

There is less shear on the Castrol, even after more miles than the M1.

REF:
Castrol Magnatec 5W30
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4317342/
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4313455/
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4016791/

M1 5W30
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4331505/
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4311903/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back