Castrol Blend 5W-30 Saturn Aura 7775 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a 2008 Saturn Aura with a 3.5L V6, 26860 miles on the car and 7775 miles on the oil, I used the GM oil life monitor down to 0% left. Using Castrol synthetic Blend 5W-30 oil and an AC Delco PF-61 filter.
The engine holds 4 quarts, the oil lasted a little more than 4 months.

Iron 24
Molybdenium 7
Copper 87
Silicon 9
Sodium 174
Boron 6
Calcium 2304
Phosphorous 485
Zinc 598
Solids .1
Glycol NEG
Water Viscosity Cst@40 57
PH 5.2
TBN 2.18
Fuel dilution 1.1%

All other reported values was Zero.
Are the metal values too high?
The fuel may be because the car was only driven 3 miles before the oil change.

Nice to see a Castrol Blend UOA.

This engine looks like it still has break-in to go through. These engines seem to wear pretty well past break-in so you still may need to give it time to see those metals drop.

I'd keep using the OLM and stick with the Castrol Blend. Nice vehicle.
cool.gif

Do you do mainly city driving? That would explain the fuel.

It looks good. Good TBN, Still in grade.

But I still hate how these GM motors shed copper.

Last edited:
Not bad results, but I wouldn't go this long on a 'young' GM engine. Syntec blend held up well - maintained visc. and TBN.

I don't get it. The V6 Aura/Malibus only have 4 quart sumps, but the tiny 4cyl Ecotecs have a 5 quart sump? Not too bad for 7500 miles. It looks identical to an LSx V8 with all that copper. Keep doing what you're doing, mabye pull it back to 10-15% OLM changes.

Last edited:
I agree that it's good to see a UOA of Castrol Syntec Blend, not many of these lately. I wouldn't go more than 6K on this oil. 7700 miles is entirely too long. 1.1% Fuel dilution isn't helping any.

Ooopps, I meant Formula Shell. The Super Shell would clean that motor out but good though ... ... Senior Moment of the Day Award.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zulu
I don't get it. The V6 Aura/Malibus only have 4 quart sumps, but the tiny 4cyl Ecotecs have a 5 quart sump? Not too bad for 7500 miles. It looks identical to an LSx V8 with all that copper. Keep doing what you're doing, mabye pull it back to 10-15% OLM changes.

The 'Euro' design of the Ecotec motor gives it more oil capacity to handle longer drain intervals. The American V-6's are designed to go 3k only on cheap dino, so no need for extra capacity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back