Castrol black vs gold bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What car are we talking about here? If spec'd for 0w20, the black bottle should do fine, as just about most any 0w20. My car has a 8000km mfr change interval...not sure about severe service..but I use top tier syns anyways.

And don't forget, Magnatec is full synthetic in the 0w20 and 5w20 versions
smile.gif

It's a 2013 Subaru Forester with a naturally aspired 2.5 L engine.

In Canada, there is only the service service OCI, no regular ones for this model. It's for every 10 000km even though more recent and older models have 8000 km OCIs. I try not to go cheap on oil as subaru engines tend to have problems.

It does a lot of short (10 km trips) but gets longer trips every weekends.

Edge in the black bottle is for normal synthetic drain intervals of about 16,000 km or less. The gold bottle is the Extended Performance for longer drain intervals of around 24,000 km. Edge is excellent oil, use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Wyverns
It's a 2013 Subaru Forester with a naturally aspired 2.5 L engine.

In Canada, there is only the service service OCI, no regular ones for this model. It's for every 10 000km even though more recent and older models have 8000 km OCIs. I try not to go cheap on oil as subaru engines tend to have problems.

It does a lot of short (10 km trips) but gets longer trips every weekends.

Black bottle = Magnatec here, gold bottle = Edge here.
Both are OK, but for shorter trips my wife's 1.6 injector Daewoo MPV engine. consumes from Magnatec.
I would use the premium one into this nice, new car!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
And don't forget, Magnatec is full synthetic in the 0w20 and 5w20 versions
smile.gif

For sure, Castrol Magnatec 0w20 is full synthetic and is the best everyday value at Walmart. I'm not so sure about 5W20 is full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For sure, Castrol Magnatec 0w20 is full synthetic and is the best everyday value at Walmart.

I don't know if our Walmarts yet have Magnatec. I do know that NAPA Canada has the 60 L kegs of it.
wink.gif

I wonder why Castrol stopped mentioning ACEA A5/B5 on the gold bottle? Only ACEA A1/B1. Not capable enough to meet the level it used to meet in the past?

Originally Posted By: BlackBeard
What exactly allows one the longer drain intervals?

Perhaps a better base oil, a higher TBN, a stronger additive package, but I'm no expert.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For sure, Castrol Magnatec 0w20 is full synthetic and is the best everyday value at Walmart.

I don't know if our Walmarts yet have Magnatec. I do know that NAPA Canada has the 60 L kegs of it.
wink.gif

Nope, not yet!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Wyverns
Dino 0W20?

5W20

Ah, the forester is specced for 0W20 only.

Thanks for the info though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back