Castrol a3/b4 in tractor diesel???

Was trying to decide if I should have posted this in tractor sub forum but decided I might get more attention here😁

I have a newer Branson 4520r tractor which has the Cummins engine. No turbo.
I am about to put in John Deere plus 50 II 0w40 in but at $45 per gallon, that’s expensive.
No cheaper alternatives here in Alaska.
Tractor sits outside and I often use it while it’s still -10f out after it’s been sitting overnight in -25f.
So yes, 0w40 is going in and 5w40 T6 is going out.

Just used Castrol a3/b4 0w40 in my vehicles.
I know that diesel requires different additives but the Branson has just a passive (catalyst style) exhaust system.

Curious if the Castrol would work with this tractor?

Thanks!

I first though why a 0w- oil until I read Talkeetna Alaska!:giggle:
Little colder this year. We’ve had consistent -20f at night since beginning of November. Hate to see what January will bring. I live in a microclimate that is about 10 to 15 degrees less than the town of Talkeetna is.
At least we are not interior Alaska. They get even colder.

It'll work beautifully in your branson tractor. From their most recent slick sheet, "Application: Castrol EDGE 0W-40 SP is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel vehicles where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SP 0W-40 lubricant."

BTW, I'm down the highway in Palmer, and run this same Castrol 0W-40 oil in my GM Gen III 5.3L and Equinox 2.4L gas engines. They run and run, liking it. The 5.3L has 70K miles on it, while the Anchorage commuting 2.4L has 160K (this 4-cyl is the typical oil-burning pig).

And notice the Wasilla Walmart price of this Castrol recently jumped to over $28 dollars per 5-qt jug. Bummer.

Last edited:
Back